Chapter Nine

March 27, 2018

Corbyn and Jonah shared a knowing look as they refrained from laughing.

All five band members were onstage for soundcheck, Keith working on the music booming through the speakers and Maeve dealing with the boys' mic levels.

The house lights in the building were on, so Zach could see Maeve working in the tech booth, moving around quickly with her eyes down. Every once in awhile she would go completely still, as if she needed to stop moving in order to listen, and then she'd be switching things around again with a new sense of fervor. 

And Zach simply couldn't stop staring at her.

He always felt drawn to her, but today was just one of those days. She was wearing sweatpants and a loose t-shirt, hair up and wispy around her head, face scrunched slightly in concentration. Her every move caught his eye and captured his attention.

Corbyn had noticed his friend's lack of presence and only had to observe him for a few moments to know he was having trouble looking away from Maeve.

He tapped Jonah on the arm and nodded his head in Zach's direction, both of them trying to hide their grins as they continued singing their assigned parts. They'd known Zach for three years—they were very aware of how he acted when he liked a girl.

Maeve looked up from the soundboard when no one sang during a section of the song playing. Corbyn and Jonah had fallen apart with laughter. Daniel and Jack shook their heads at Zach, chuckling as well.

"What happened?" Maeve yelled over the music. Keith turned it down a moment later.

Corbyn was still grinning as he spoke into his handheld, "Zach missed his cue."

Maeve shot a disapproving look in Zach's direction as he messed with his earpiece. He smiled as she shook her head, turning her eyes down again.

"Get with it, Herron," she called, feigning impatience.

He answered with a loud apology and the soundcheck continued, Maeve of course, having no idea she had been the source of his distraction.

***

The venue in Dallas, Texas had long since cleared out.

The show had run perfectly, and though Maeve was working throughout the performance, she couldn't say she hadn't caught herself watching Zach and how excited he was to be in his hometown. There was just something about the way he had acted on stage, his arms reaching out towards the crowd, his excited yells, his grin as he and the boys gathered to bow at the end that had made her smile.

All tech equipment had just been packed away when Zach called her name. She looked up to see him standing with his family, waving her over.

When she reached his side, he introduced her immediately, in turn learning the names of his parents, Josh and Myta, and siblings, Ryan and Reese. Maeve greeted them all, smiling a little more at Reese as she said hello.

Reese was eager to speak to her, so the two were involved in their own conversation rather quickly. Maeve squatted down to be closer to her, leaning her head back as she laughed at something the younger girl said.

The sound drew Zach's attention, making him smile a little.

When he turned back to his mom, she shot him a suggestive look, at which he rolled his eyes. All she did was laugh.

She hadn't missed the way her son had looked at the girl nearby.