Twenty

With Hayabusa carefully perched on his shoulder, Shan Yu tried to weave through the thick trees in the forest. Unlike Fen, he was struggling to get through the small gaps between the trees.

“Where are we going?” asked Fen.
“That is the sixth time you have asked that,” he said through gritted teeth. “Are you going to confirm your childishness and ask a seventh?”
“Do you want me to?”
“No.” As soon as the word left his mouth, Shan Yu instantly regretted it.

“Where are we going?”

“If you keep asking, you won't hold Hayabusa for a week,” warned Shan Yu. Fen gasped and then immediately fell silent. Until she spoke a minute later.
“You can't do that!” she exclaimed.
“He’s my bird,” he said with a sly smirk. Fen sighed and followed him in defeat.

“We wouldn’t have a problem if you told me where we are going.”
“You’ll see.” Fen slipped through the trees and got in front of him. She turned to face him and quietly laughed at his struggle.
“Unless I  lose my eyes, that’s a possibility,” muttered Fen. “Like the soldier who was arguing with me.”
“I can hear you, Fen,” said Shan Yu loudly. Fen gulped.
“I knew that,” she lied. She headed farther in front of him and reached a clearing. She turned back to the Hun and furrowed her brow.

“We’re at a town?”
“Yes.” He walked out of the trees and looked to the end of the village. “We’ll use the lie from the city. You are my daughter and you are here for the matchmaker, understand?”
“Yes but, what are we doing here?” she asked. She hated not knowing what was going on.
“You’ll find out.”