How wrong he had been. A smile curved his lips as he watched her walk down the little church's aisle to him. She was breathtaking, he smiled, desire racing through his veins. She was as breathtaking as the night he had nearly taken her to his bed. He had always known she was destined to be his wife and while she had been defiled by his brother, he wouldn't let it bother him. She would have been useless to his blind brother anyway, Daniel would never be able to acknowledge her beauty. It didn't matter that she was thin and nearly even malnourished, she was perfect.

She pulled to a halt beside him and he took her hand, offering her a smile. When she smiled back, he felt his body respond to her. She was finally coming to terms with their marriage, perhaps realizing that her marriage to Daniel was nothing but a silly joke and she was better off with him.

When it was time to say their vows, Hadassah turned fully to him and to his surprise, spoke every one of those vows with a smile on her face.

"Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Julius' attention turned to the empty room, but for the presence of Lord Hadley who sat on one of the pews with an uninterested expression on his face. Satisfied that there was no one around to oppose their marriage, Julius turned back to smile at the Reverend.

"Do carry on, I'm sure..."

"I do have a reason."

Cursing under his breath, he clenched his fists and turned his attention to Hadassah. "Surely, you are being silly, aren't you love? " He gritted his teeth.

Stepping back, she turned to the Reverend. "I'm already married."

Julius sucked in a breath, all the while fighting the urge to break something. From the corners of his eyes, he saw Lord Hadley rising to his feet, yelling obscenities.

"I am, I'm married to Lord Daniel Talbot. "

"This isn't true, the girl is simply crazy. I didn't concede to any marriage!" Lord Hadley yelled, his hand flying in the air and making loud contact with Hadassah's face. A soft wince followed his actions, before she stepped back and the Reverend took her vacated spot, standing between them.

"Stop this immediately, Lord Hadley!" Julius turned his attention from the Hadassah long enough to look at the Reverend who seemed upset. "Is this true, does the girl speak the truth? " His voice was steady and firm.

Lord Hadley shook his head, "I am her legal guardian. I have given no consent..."

"Lies!" Hadassah's loud shrill bounced off the walls.

"You're the liar, you whore!"

"I speak the truth, Reverend, I am married and was found with child only two nights ago before Lord Hadley had it killed and now, he intends to have me wed to my husband's brother!"

Julius felt his feet take him forward until he was bumping into a solid barrier. He was thankful for the barrier for it kept him from harming his wife. And his wife she was! He would marry her, if it killed him, he would marry her.

"Do not listen to her, Reverend." Julius finally found his tongue. He needed to speak, to shut Hadassah up before she ruined their marriage completely.

"Then prove her claims to be a falsehood..."

"A marriage without my consent is not a marriage, Reverend, even you must know this."

"Then it happened, a marriage happened?"

"She ran off with a mad man!" Lord Hadley barked.

"You are saying that a marriage ceremony was conducted?" Julius knew as the Reverend asked the question, where the conversation was headed. Lord Hadley on the other hand, was foolish enough to fall into the trap.

"Perhaps, I do not know what silly ceremony took place."

"It was a wedding in Rye, Sussex."

The Reverend turned from Julius, a frown creasing his face as he turned around to face Hadassah. He watched her for a while, before turning back to Julius and Lord Hadley, his frown deepening.

"Did you get an annulment from the court?" The Reverend's eyes scanned Lord Hadley's face before turning to scan Julius'

Lord Hadley shook his head. "It was void from the beginning, I do not need the court's..."

"But I do." Hadassah sighed loudly as the Reverend spoke, relief flooding her features. "I need a proof of annulment before I can conduct a marriage. Until then, this wedding is canceled."

At his words, Hadassah crumbled to her knees and wept. As Julius watched her, he knew her tears had nothing to do with grief and everything to do with relief.

Copyright ©2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

A/N

Writing when I'm extremely tired...