"I was weird how?" Michael asked curiously. "I don't think I even spoke to you past that first time."

"Whenever you came over to see Soren, we were in the other room," she explained, a hint of apology in her voice. "It's always stressful, if I'm honest, when the enforcer has a mate outside the pack. Having power over the enforcer means power in the pack and we usually casually vet the mate but," she cleared her throat awkwardly, "I suppose our attention towards you has been a bit more than casual."

"You don't say," Michael commented dryly. "You still haven't said what was so weird about me."

"You, uh," Alpha Evelyn paused to think about her next words. "Soren isn't the best at social interaction. He hasn't dated since he graduated high school and that wasn't even really dating. It was his dick coming online and having lots of offers. So, I wasn't particularly surprised when he didn't catch on to the not being overly wolfy when it came to his human mate. What did surprise me was that his mate wasn't even the least bit concerned about anything he did while not knowing about werewolves."

"Yeah, I can see how that can look weird," Michael admitted, "I've just known Theo was a werewolf since we were kids. I think the growling tipped me off. Also, Soren's brand of weird is ridiculously sweet. He's adorable."

"You're the only one who can say that without being bitten by a very angry wolf."

"And I'll heavily abuse that power," Michael assured her with a grin, "I love being with Soren. I absolutely adore him. So, it'd sorta be great if you stopped spying on my family and let me be."

"Of course, we'll stop," Evelyn assured him apologetically, "Although, to be honest, the vetting process won't stop here. We still need to get to know you."

Michael gave her a half-shrug, willing to concede that at the very least.

They drove on for a while, talking idly about Soren and the pack. A moving van caught Michael's eye. A family was unloading. There were two boys that looked like twins with matching military haircuts passing boxes along to a stern looking bald man. The mom was dealing with the movers, paying them, it seemed like. Nothing really seemed strange about the image until one of the twins picked up a thin suitcase and the contents spilled out.

On the ground was a dangerous looking gun and a few bullets.

"Silver bullets," Evelyn growled, her eyes flashing red. "Hunters."

Michael just sighed, "Shit."

One of the twins glanced over at car, meeting Michael's eyes. Then he smirked and flexed, shooting Michael a wink as well, just in case he didn't get the point.

Michael rolled his eyes. "Why do hunters even exist? It's not like you guys are plotting something."

"Sometimes werewolves lose control and innocent people end up hurt. It's rare but it happens just enough to convince those blood-thirsty monsters that we need to be eradicated."

Michael frowned thoughtfully. "Well, if there's anything I can do, just tell me."

Evelyn smiled at him with honest gratitude. "Thank you. We'll keep you updated."

When they returned to the alpha's house, everyone was inside. Axel and Michael were in front of the television, devouring a tin of cookies and watching a trashy reality show. David was nowhere to be seen but Jamie and Soren were sitting together, whispering about something that had Jamie looking shocked.

Everyone's head snapped up once they walked in and Soren jumped to his feet.

Michael beelined over to him and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Hey there, wolfie."

Soren nuzzled his cheek, "Everything went well, angel?"

"Of course, it did." Michael glanced at Jamie and gave him a brief nod of acknowledgment.

"Good," Axel stood, "We need to get back to your house. Grandpa keeps texting me about the creep that called you angel."

Michael sighed, "Axel."

"Fine, not a creep, just a werewolf. You want me to tell him that?"

Michael didn't get to reply before his phone was ringing. He groaned and pulled out his phone then chirped, "Hello?"

"Hey, Mikey," his dad's gentle voice made his shoulders relax.

"Hey, daddy, is something wrong?"

"Of course not. It's just that your Uncle Venice is finally here and," he was cut off.

Another voice came through the phone, "And he wants to see your asses, STAT." Michael could hear Franco's protest in the background as Uncle Venice held his phone hostage. "Seriously, kid. Your favorite uncle is here and I don't even see that weird friend of yours."

Michael couldn't help giggling at Theo's offended face. "We're on our way back. Just hold tight a sec, okay."

"Alright, but I'm keeping your dad's phone until I see you." Franco's exasperated, 'are you serious?' was clearly audible.

"Do what you have to do," Michael said, grinning. "See you, bye." After he hung up, Michael laughed out, "Uncle Venice is here."

"Oh, sweet," Axel was grinning too now. He asked Evelyn through a statement, "I need to borrow your car."

Evelyn rolled her eyes at him but threw him a set of keys. "Just have Theo drop it back off."

Theo complained through a mouth full of cookies, "Why do I have to?" He swallowed and asked again, "Seriously, he can do it." He was ignored by pretty much everyone.

Michael gave Soren a final kiss goodbye, promising to see him soon and text him even soon. Then, as he passed Evelyn on the way out, he told her, "Remember, keep me updated."

Evelyn nodded, "Will do, kid. Tell me if you hear anything on your side too. And be careful. Hunters tend to go for human mates too."