"Hey, babe," I said into the phone. "I just got out of practice and I'm gonna be late home."

"Okay," Deja's soft voice rang through the phone. "Just be safe and wear your seatbelt."

"I will, don't worry. I'll see you when I get home."

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you too."

She hung up and I made my way out of the locker room. I was now the oldest on the team and I had of being signed to the Chargers. This was a huge deal for me.

I through all of my stuff in the backseat and I started the engine.

I drove in the direction of the house. I remembered to put my seatbelt on. As I drove home, the roads were a bit empty.

I tapped on the steering wheel waiting for the light to turn green. The light flickered green. I slowly crossed the pedestrian crossing and the last thing I remembered hearing was the sound of screeching rubber.

Deja:

"Deja Miller?" Someone said as I picked up the phone.

"This is her..."

"Your husband is Jayden Miller, correct?"

"Yes." I set down Jay's book and waved him off to go play.

"Your husband was injured very badly in a car accident a few minutes ago and is currently in the hospital. His only request is to see you."

"Okay, um, I'm on my way," I said worriedly.

I quickly hung up the phone and pulled a hoodie on. I was wearing sweats and Nike sandals. Jay was in his PJs.

"Jay, we have to go," I said grabbing his shoes for him to put on. Hashbrown ran and grabbed the keys and dragged a sweater for Jay with it.

The three of us got into the car and drove towards the hospital.

"Mommy where are we going?" Jay asked.

"To see Daddy."

"Where is he? Is he coming home?"

"Daddy is going to come home."

"Okay..."

...

We arrived in the hospital and we rushed in. The woman gave us a room number. I quickly thanked her and we raced up to the room.

I let Jay and Hashbrown walk in first. I was scared to see him. Scared to see him hurt, or in pain, or maybe even dying.

"Deja, come in," his voice croaked.

"I don't wanna come in unless you promise you'll walk out of this hospital and come home," I said feeling my heart break.

"Deja, have I ever broken a promise?"

"No."

"I only make promises that I can keep. And this is unfortunately one that I might have a lot of trouble keeping."

I began sobbing.

"Come here," he said again.

I slowly walked into the room. I sat down next to him. He was bruised and broken everywhere.

We sat in silence and all I could hear was the sound of the heart monitor.

A few seconds later the door clicked open and Jack stood there staring at me.

"Jack, can you watch Jay and Hashbrown while I talk to Deja?" Jayden asked softly.

Jack nodded and took Jay and Hashbrown outside. I looked at Jayden who looked back at me. We both laughed.