She knew it was a foolish idea to condemn Daniel to the mercy of his brother. Daniel's inability to see did not render him useless. Perhaps it fueled his reason to remain trapped in his room, but it wasn't enough to disinherit him, was it?

The distinct sound of approaching horses' hooves and wheels against paved roads, reached her. Shuffling her feet nervously, she stretched her neck in the direction of the sound and found the approaching carriage.

She waited until the carriage pulled to a halt and the footman climbed down. Opening the door wide open, a head of full brown locks appeared. He climbed down and straightened, lifting his eyes up. A bright smile immediately settled on his face the second his eyes locked with hers and before she could return his smile, he was racing up the stairs of the front porch and gathering her into his arms.

“Mother!” His familiar voice carried into her ears, his arms squeezing their hold around her waist.

She giggled softly and patted his shoulder. “My beautiful boy!”

“Not anymore, Mother,” He grinned, pulling away.

She touched his cheek, brown beards that most likely was as a result of several days of travel without shaving, pricking her palm. Soaking in the familiarity yet strangeness of the boy who had left home over a year ago, she stared into his clear blue eyes.

“You have returned to remain, have you not?”

Smiling broadly, “We shall see, Mother. For now, I have returned and that will have to do.”

Earl Talbot appeared then, his wrinkled face a reflection of tiredness.

She would speak to him about his decision later, she decided as the party made their way into the building.

Dinner progressed in silence that evening, Daniel even agreeing to join them. Josephine was happy to finally have her family sit together and eat after over a year. Still, she knew, as her eyes traveled the faces of the three men that sat before her, that a war was brewing.

Daniel would never accept his father's decision. He might be blind, but even blindness was unable to make him dependent on anybody. She knew very well his decision to neglect his valet completely, insisting on his desire for independence.

Julius would no doubt find his father's decision appealing. He had worked for it, hadn't he? For several years, Julius had worked to help his father's shipping business grow. He had left home over a year ago for that sole purpose.

Earl Talbot would not take too kindly to Daniel's defiance and Josephine would unfortunately be caught in the midst of a family feud.

She waited until dinner was over, before rising to her feet and politely demanding that her husband joins her in the parlor.

It was obvious from the frown on Earl Talbot's face as he settled on the seat before her, that he suspected her reason for the meeting.

“Do not object to my decision, Josephine.” He went straight to the point, shutting her up as she opened her mouth to protest. “It is decided and it is what's best. Daniel will receive a yearly payment of two thousand pounds to cater to his every need. Julius will inherit the title and the business.”

“And this is best?” Josephine fought the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks. “Disinheriting your first born son simply...”

He shook his head furiously. “I am not disinheriting Daniel, I am doing what is right for the family.”

“Then, let Daniel keep the title and with it, his pride. Julius may have the business...”

“Daniel is unable to bear the burden required of an Earl. He can barely hold his own in society. He hasn't been invited to many balls and when he is invited, he manages to disregard the invitations. He is of marriageable age but no woman of society is willing to marry a disabled man, no woman except a widow who is practically throwing herself at his feet. Daniel knows how much of a blessing his marriage to Lady Price will be but he refuses to comply.”

Josephine opened her mouth to argue, but quickly closed it once more, knowing it was of no use. The part of her that held on to hope that her husband could be reasoned with, slipped away easily and she was left seated on a couch before him, mouth agape and eyes wide.

“This will work, dear.” He sighed deeply, rising to his feet. “Daniel will fight for a while but will eventually see reason...”

“In what, Father?”

Josephine sprang to her feet at the sound of Daniel's voice by the entryway. She nearly fell backward when she turned to find her two sons staring at them; one in confusion and the other in anger.

“In my decision.”

Daniel's fingers curled into a fist at his father's admission.

“You of all people must see what it is I'm trying to say, Daniel.”

“Forgive me, Father, I'm blind!” He spat, indignant. “Blindness has taken my ability to reason properly and apparently, my very birthright!”

“Daniel...” The word died on her lips as he turned to her, pain etched on his face.

“I do not desire the title, Mother. I do not desire it as much as I desire my freedom; my freedom to inherit my father's business even if it is only a small part. How can you demand that I remain seated, useless by the side while my brother hands me monthly charity? My freedom to reject the title, not have it stripped from me! Not have it stripped like my very sight was stripped!” He shook his head. “If you will not give me that freedom, Father, I want nothing to do with your yearly fees! You might as well disown me.”

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

I feel like this story is finally starting to take shape in my head and the plot is drastically changing!!! So excited for what's coming. It has been so difficult developing this story and especially difficult connecting to the characters but I think we're getting there.

Finding Himजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें