A very thin line of blood shone upon Anniina's throat, drawn by the cat's claws. The imp screeched again and this time was answered. A dozen imps scampered into the narrow passage, some darting across the mud, others scuttling along the shacks' walls like lizards. Anniina was surrounded. She stared, trapped in the gaze of the imp hanging in front of her. Not only was this imp bigger but, unlike its fellows, it was wearing clothes. Chainmail made from slender pieces of bone that rattled with its every movement.

Anniina's reached into her pocket. A sharpened screwdriver, it was the only weapon she possessed. Useless against a horde but that wasn't her intent. She'd seen the chariots these monsters made...

The imps screeched to one another, edging closer. The larger imp made a sound of warning and the others pulled back, hesitating. Anniina's heart was hammering in her chest. This was it.

The large imp altered its grip, swinging closer to her face. Metal piercings ran up its nose and continued up its forehead in perfect pairings. The piercings had sharp points and forced the skin into multiple furrows. Taking a deep breath Anniina withdrew the screwdriver and angled it quickly at her own throat. She shut her eyes, gritting her teeth. Now, now was the time to die.

In that moment of hesitation - the imp struck. It let go of the roof, spiralling in a perfect fluid arch through the air. It caught the screwdriver with a swipe of its tiny fist, knocking it from Anniina's grip, before landing easily on the ground. The imps swarmed. Anniina was caught by a multitude of hooked feet and hoisted up into the air. The little aircrafts the beasts used whirred and groaned as they ascended higher and higher. Anniina cried out in fear, watching the ground disappear.

Looking smaller and smaller on the ground was the armoured imp, Lakhee, Third Magus of the Dozgam.

**

Ryder's head was rested against the bark of a tree. Unprotected by his wild beard, Ryder's forehead and nose were leathery from the sun. He sighed contentedly in his sleep, nuzzling against the rough bark.

"Ryder." Lauren nudged him awake with her foot. Ryder's eyelids fluttered open and he gazed up at her, his clear grey eyes reflecting the low morning sun.

He put up a hand to shield his eyes as he groggily sat up. "It's morning. Get up." She handed him a coffee. He accepted it gratefully, reluctant to rise immediately to his feet. Lauren appraised him thoughtfully. "You look a wreck."

Ryder laughed.

"Thanks."

"Does it drain you - helping Pan to work out his powers?"

Ryder shrugged but she took that to mean yes.

"We each have skills - his skills aren't my particular strengths, so it's harder for me than for him." He explained slowly, thinking over his answer. Ryder leant heavily against the tree as he rose to his feet.

"How are you?" He asked. Lauren's shoulders tensed ever so slightly.

"I'm fine."

"Really?" Ryder probed, his intense gaze finally trapping hers. Lauren subconsciously reached up to flatten her hair. He stepped toward her. "You never have to lie to me, Lauren." He purred softly.

Lauren's heart trembled. She looked away, forcing a humorous smile to her lips to keep them steady.

"Because you," she took a quick breath of courage, "you love me?" She'd wanted to keep her voice light but a quaver gave her away.

"Yes." He replied simply. Lauren gaped up at him.

"Even now?!"

A crashing sound made them both turn to see Peter hurtling toward them.

"Slavers!"

"How?! We're nowhere near the route lines." Lauren protested distractedly. Ryder broke into a run. He hurtled back to the caravans with the others sprinting after him.

Ryder dove into the driving seat of the larger caravan, Lauren scrambling in beside him. Peter dove into the car. The smaller caravan's engine was already running with Liam at the wheel.

"We got everyone?" Ryder barked, twisting in his seat. Roxanne was strapping little Mason into a car seat.

"Pan and the other two are with Liam." Roxanne asserted confidently.

"Ok then."

Ryder led the convoy. They bounced over the rough terrain, the caravan's new tyres coping well off-road. Mason started crying noisily - his cheeks flushing ruby red. Roxanne tried to comfort him whilst holding onto her large belly. Lauren's tense gaze was checking the mirrors - looking for signs of pursuit. She sucked her cheek. Her hands tightly clenched on her lap.

They were making the journey to the Obituary Pits. With no news from Lewis, they were going in unsupported. She glanced at Roxanne via the interior mirror. The deeper into imp territory they went the more dangerous it was for Roxanne and Mason. Ryder maintained confidence that he could protect them, but seeing his knuckles turn white from his tight grip on the steering wheel... she knew he was afraid. Afraid of losing someone else.

Ryder brought the caravan to a stop and cut the engine. The others in convoy did likewise. Lauren held her breath. They had a view down onto the valley below them.

"What is it?" Lauren finally asked in a whisper. Ryder leant across to her, his cheek close to her shoulder and pointed.

"There in the dip between the hills."

Peering she saw it. Slavers - in the valley below them. Sweat broke out on Lauren's forehead. If any of the slavers looked up in their direction, they'd be spotted.

"We need to get out of here."

Ryder put up a hand, signalling that he needed a moment. His sharp gaze remained on the slavers.

More and more kept passing through the hills. It was a larger contingent than Ryder had ever seen. Slavers usually kept in packs of a dozen - they rarely roamed in the greater numbers. And this wasn't one of the slave trading lines. The slavers shouldn't be using this route, it infringed too close upon the Dozgam. Ryder's brow furrowed. Was Wabyt doubting all her allies now? With his betrayal and the rumours of a vampire take over in Venice - had paranoia overwhelmed the demon queen?

"Ryder," Lauren whispered more urgently. Slowly Ryder started the engine to a quiet drawl and edged the caravan around the bend. Once out of view of the valley they sped up once more. Lauren was about to ask Ryder what his thoughts were, but the sudden stench of rust and decay filled her nostrils. She stiffened. None of the others were reacting at all, so Lauren understood that this was something happening only to her.

She turned her head and was faced with her reflection in the window. The reflection was of her as a reaper - with half a rotting face. The reflection leant forward and kissed the glass. Lauren leant away, her gaze on the hot breath that fogged up her view.

"Reaper kissed," a voice hissed in her head. Lauren shut her eyes. She wasn't even sure anymore - of what was a curse and what was her own sanity breaking...

I hope you're enjoying REAPER KISSED so far =) If you are then please check out one of my other stories currently up on wattpad, DARKEST DAWN. I would love some of your feedback on it. It's a completed story so you don't have to be patient waiting for updates!

Reaper Kissedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें