"Mak."

Dean interrupted, giving her a knowing stare.  She looked back only to find Sam staring at her with furrowed brows.

She let out a groan.

"Just-"

"Look, I just want to know what the hell you were talking about last night.  I mean, you sounded pretty spooked-"

"Yeah, De, of course I was spooked, my dead brother had just knocked on my door-"

"Okay, let me rephrase that, you sounded pretty not spooked last night, even though your dead brother had just knocked on your door."

"I told you, I thought it was a dream."

She snapped.

"I hadn't been getting much sleep, so I just assumed that I had fallen asleep while doing research and then was having another nightmare."

"How often did you have nightmares?"

Sam queried from the backseat, and Makayla swallowed but forced a grim smile.

"Every time I slept, I guess."

"Yeah, and how often was that?"

Dean's voice was no longer quiet, but rather accusatory.

She opened her mouth to speak, but when nothing came out, she closed it.

"Look, it- it doesn't matter, okay?  It's over now."

"Not so fast!"

Dean countered.

"You had some guy visiting you in your sleep?  And you heard voices?  Makayla, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think you were certifiably insane last night."

It was silent for a few beats.

"It's nothing, Dean."

This time, her words were soft-spoken and uncertain.

Dean could feel her closing herself off to him again, although he'd only be back with her for twelve hours.  She'd have her emotions sealed away completely soon enough, and he didn't want that to happen.  He couldn't let that happen.

"Alright, just stop bullshitting me, please?"

He spoke hastily and impatiently.

"Look, like I said, there was that guy in the trench-coat that would sometimes appear in my dreams and talk to me about you.  I'm sure it was nothing, guys.  Probably just my conscience taking the form of my dream sugar daddy- just a sorry reminder of how pathetically single I am."

Sam laughed hard at this, his eyes crinkling in the way that had always been so adorable to Makayla.  She was glad to have shifted the topic slightly, the mood in the car brightening drastically.

However, when she glanced at Dean, he was still reluctantly trepidatious to let the matter drop.

She raised her brows at him.

'We can talk about this later,' her green eyes pleaded with him.

With a heavy sigh, he nodded his head and turned the radio louder.

__________

"Order me a snack or something, will you?  I gotta pee."

Dean snorted at his sister's proclamation as Sam shook his head with a smile.

"Yeah, I'll alert the media."