Upgrade of Nightmares

Some say "It'll get better, Don't worry." But when you have a split personalities disorder, there's not much you can do when you have 4 different personalities, 5 if you include yourself. I learned what happens when you upset The Hat Man.

I wake inside of a cell, bare, only with the light coming from a hole in the wall. "So, you want to play games Nick? Well here we are!" I look behind me to see him, a 6 foot shadow man with a black fedora, emitting more blackness than before, almost as if he's angry at something. He starts laughing as he easily disapates into the wall. Suddenly I felt a stab right through my mind, and gone. All 4 of them. I felt empty and felt like I was in a deep abyss of pain. I heard him walking outside the walls of the cell. I look through the only hole in the cell to see all 4 of them. My other personalities. Jay, Theo, Relieo, and Zeta. He started with Jay. "You, Jay as I know, is a shield, an outer shell. I don't like you getting in my way." He starts grinning as his eyes starts glower brighter, redder. He extends his arms and grabs Jay, which is an exact copy of me, like he said, an outer shell of me. "This is your punishment." And rips Jay into 2, no blood, just a stabbing pain into my heart. He let out a cry for help before he was ripped apart. Then he moved to Theo. "Ah, the shy, quiet one eh? Theo... How to punish you?" He stood there, as if playing with me, putting me on edge. Then he opened a door, and revealed a stage. "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I PRESENT TO YOU, OUR LEAD ROLE, THEO!" Theo squirmed around in his seat, unable to move. I could feel the pressure on him. "My apologies, my friends, it seems as though our little star is having stagefright! But all we have to do is give him, SOME MOTIVATION!" Suddenly, Theo was lifted into the air as the crowd goes wild, laughing, and applauding as though it's an act of a magic show. "Oh dear, it seems as though our ropes are alittle loose." Theo squirmed as he was lifted higher into the air. But then I heard a snap and the chair and Theo fell down onto the ground, breaking the chair into pieces. Theo wasn't moving, and the audience went quiet. "We'll have to take a break, as our star, has had... An accident..." The curtain closes and The Hat Man turns around, and looks down. "What are you truly afraid of Theo? Death? Fright of failing? Or being seen?" He stood there staring at the body, still not moving. "Oh well, guess you are done too!" And pushed Theo's body to the side, moving to the next one. Relieo. "Relieo. Re...Lie...Oh... What purpose are you? Anger? A lier? I can't tell. But it's time you face your punishment for getting into my way." The Hat Man walked slowly towards him, and slapped him, and slapped him again, and again. He laughs as his hands turn into fists, and his eyes grow redder, almost the color of blood. "How do you like the pain? The pain you will never feel physically. You're just an illusion. A face. A nice" punch "useless" punch "idiot!" And uppercuts Relieo. Relieo slouches down, barely moving. "This is your punishment, the pain you never feel, because you think you are always safe." And he pushes the chair backwards, and I see Relieo's face. Destroyed. Then Zeta was last. "You are the last of them, the walls in my way. Do you know why I chose you last?" "You are a monster. A horror who wants fear. I will not fear you!" The Hat Man looks at him with a grin. "I don't expect you to fear me." The Hat Man disappeared into his smoke, and a door opened. And out walked my mother. Who died years ago... "I have walked the mind of Jay, and the fears of Theo, and I have entered your heart. I have known your greatest nightmare. Facing the person you killed. Your mother." He spoke in her tone, chuckling the same way she would. I could see his way, but I don't think Zeta could. "Mom..." I could hear Zeta cry, as The Hat Man walked forward. "You disgraced me. You made me commit suicide. You left me, using the state to your advantage." Zeta yelled at him. "I'M SORRY MOM. IT WASN'T MY FAULT" Then The Hat Man yelled at him, saying things like Disgrace, bitch, asshole, and unforgettably a problem. Then The Hat Man stopped, and laughed, realizing that he has destroyed everything Zeta was and lived for. "Your punishment has been served." And left Zeta to cry. Instead of killing him like the others, he left him to his own sea of tears. "Now your walls have been collapsed. And now you're at your weakest." He just starts laughing as a wake up.

When I woke up, I was empty and cold. No emotions left, just a giant pain in my head. I went to touch my forehead, but I felt fabric on my head, I go to remove it, and I look down at my fedora. This fedora has been claimed by The Hat Man. And now he has combined with me...