2

Lilla turned the pointed timepiece over in her hands with a frown. The silvery points, which were meant to look like rays from a star, glinted in the meager light streaming from the street's high lamp outside of the rented sleepers. It had been years since she'd been in the city. She'd hoped never to enter it again. Returning the small clock to the center of the purple handkerchief, she swiftly tucked it away from sight.

Her gaze fell to her sleeping sisters, and she rose from the reading chair to cross the small room and retrieve a satchel of caramel seeds from the kitchenette half-built into the far wall. Loosing the tie, she parted the bag wide and poured a small mound of the buttery-looking seeds into the palm of her hand.

It was some time before she managed to get to sleep.

When the morning light hit her eyelids, she rose again, hours before her sisters, as usual, and slipped out to fetch them a real breakfast.

“Where are you heading off to?” A voice called to her.

Lilla froze, momentarily losing her composure catching sight of Lani who'd just pulled into a space at the street's middle.

“I have an errand or two to run,” Lilla answered flatly. “What brings you by? Is there news regarding the timepiece?”

“You'll need to be careful, Lilla. At least until this case is resolved,” Lani advised her, making her way over to the elder sister.

Lilla raised her head a little higher, seemingly swallowing a comment.

“Mek will keep an eye on your sisters. I'll keep you company while you run your errands,” Lani told her, turning her head to nod at the passenger in the car.

Lilla watched interestedly as the musclebound man with dredlocs, pulled to the back of his head, exited the car. She squinted, appearing to search him for an otherworldly indicator, then pursed her lips.

“You've appointed a sky-eye to watch over my sisters?”

“He's also a porter.”

Lilla met her eyes without a verbal response, looked to the toffee-skinned sky-eye as he made his way over to a bench beside the building, and smoothed the front of the slate gray dress she'd chosen for the day. Touching a finger to the red cabochon at her right ear, she forced a smile and nodded.

“I'm just out to get the girls a proper breakfast. If you have your border pass, I welcome your company.”

Looking her over, Lani gestured Lilla toward the black convertible.

“Going over the border isn't the best idea under the circumstances, Lilla.”

“We're already stuck in this city. I won't have them miserable eating your foods, too,” Lilla told her as she opened the door and slid into the passenger seat.