Chapter 27

Though completely exhausted, Blion could not sleep.  It was not just the din of the highly amplified music outside, but also his worry.  For the first time since he arrived, he began tallying the time he had spent.  It was now Saturday night.  The two weeks that Mac Spencer had given him to find his parents would be over on Monday.  Knowing Mac Spencer, there would be no leeway in time.  If he wasn't back where he started at the appointed time, Mac Spencer would leave without him.  According to Ms. Boggens and Rob Nottingham, any attempt to leave by sea or by air would result in immediate destruction.  Submarine escapes would likely end the same way.  Unless he was on the vacikarce with Mac Spencer, he would finish his days on this dreadful island.

Abruptly the music stopped.  It was replaced by a real band playing a simple tune in an Ancient style.  The crowd went silent.  A voice announced over the amplification system: "The President of the United States, John Koch."  The audience applauded.  Blion got off the little wooden bench that the disgusting cell was provided with and went to the window.  Despite the brilliant illumination, his angle meant he could see only one well dressed woman seated on the platform.  He could also see the gray hair at the top of a man's head as it bobbed up and down.  He could tell by the way the head moved in conjunction with the speech, that this was the speaker.

"Good evening, my friends and fellow citizens.  I stand before you this evening, in the shadow of this great statue of Lady Liberty, humble and honored to be your President."  The crowed cheered. "We are all grateful, are we not, to be free?" The crowd cheered again. "Though the torch of Liberty was lit five hundred years ago on another continent, we still bear that torch. We have carried it for all these centuries and it is still burning. Strange as it may seem, not everyone values freedom. We have been plagued for years by a never ending war with the North.  They act as bullies, they do not fight with honor.  We cannot allow the torch of Liberty to dim. Emperor Adou is a heinous monster who oppresses and kills his own people.  They live in fear and poverty.  Do they deserve better?"  The crowd booed. "The Whigs across the aisle would say they do!  But that is not democracy, my friends."  The crowed applauded again.  "His people voted him as Emperor.  They fight for him.  They die for him.  They have the government they earned, the one they deserve!  They would have us join with them or die.  Just last week they raided Leeds.  They killed defenseless men, women, and little children in their beds.  You all know the gory details!  We must take the fight to them.  We will tolerate their bullying no more.  For nearly two hundred years we have tried to live in peace with them, but they will not have it.  They cannot bear peace.  Now, I call on all of you to stand firm.  This is no time for cowardice.  We will end this endless war.  Our army is ready.  Our navy is ready.  I have a plan.  We will return the war to them and we will finish it.  Mark my words today, by this winter the North will be a thing of the past.  No child will ever need live in fear of Rus or Han again.  That is my promise to you, my fellow citizens, Liberty's Heirs.  It will be my gift.  My legacy: peace!"

The President left the podium and a woman took his place.  "Thank you Mr. President.  As you all know we are gathered here today because we have traitors in our midst.  Spies sent from the North have invaded our towns.  Saboteurs who sink our ships.  Who start fires in just the right places.  Who assassinate the great men and women who serve our nation the most.  President Koch has the courage we need.  The courage to tolerate this no longer.  We will catch every last one of these Northerners and bring them to justice.  Tonight we have some of them.  They are here before you."  The crowed again cheered.  "What shall we do with them?"

"Kill, kill, kill!" chanted the crowd.  Cries of "Kill them all" and "death to the Han" erupted from the mob.  Blion was truly horrified.  He had seen the Thanksgiving Day videos but never had he dreamed that he would ever witness the churning of a crowed such a thirst for blood.  And it was terrifying that people thought that he was a Han spy.