On the Eve of Change

The pencil rolled off the table, but Eve made no move to grab it. The yellow writing instrument clattered onto the stone floor and eve just rubbed her eyes and groan. She had been staring at the same sword hilts for the past three hours, and there was still no sign of Romanian craftsmanship. The private owner swore up and down that these were swords used in a small rebellion around 600 BC, but Eve was sure it was just BS. If anything, the weapons were knock off from British Naval swords. Pretty, but not Romanian.

Eve really didn't want to be the person to be the person to tell the eccentric nut-job that the swords were fake.

"Oi, Vee?" a voice called from the hallway. Ignacio, the museum's head curator, leaned into the room, and fondly looked around.

The museum was nestled in the forested heart of a small Romanian town where a small Transylvanian town used to be. the castles wasn't grand, but it was beautiful. Over the span of years, the stone building had been filled with all sorts of artifacts and memorabilia from every reach of Romania. Currently, Eve and Ignacio were in the weapon's room, the personal favorite of nearly every twelve year old boy that came through.

"How are the swords coming?"

Eve let her head fall and crash into the wooden table.

"That bad, huh?"

"Frankly I'd be surprised if they were Eastern European."  she hissed, not moving.

The older man laughed jovially, and entered the room.

"Yeah, I figured. Want to just put them up and do the old, "Date and origin unkown"?"

Eve stood up quickly, pushing the chair back several inches and stalked across the table. She stared longingly at a set of bejeweled daggers with a fond smile before answering. "I was thinking the "haunted" card, actually." she joked. "The American tourist eat that up."

Ignacio chuckled and picked up a sword from the table. "It wasn't all that long ago when you were the American tourist." he said good-naturedly.

"If I wanted sarcasm I would have stayed with my foster family in America, Iggy." Eve said flatly, scratching at her blonde head. "I'm heading home. Just put the swords back in their boxes and I'll deal with them later."

The old man smiled and had a glint in his eye. "Actually, since you've had nothing but fakes lately I've decided to get you a little present."

Eve instantly became cautious. The last "gift" Iggy gave her was  a bottle of Italian wine from the 1600's. She had been sick for weeks, and unable to even move from her bed.

The man saw the look of despair and worry on the face of his companion and tried to soothe her. "It's not food, promise." Eve sighed in relief but still eyed the other man distrustfully.

Iggy disappeared for half a second to grab something from the hallway. It was a small package, cardboard and wrapped in twine. Iggy slid the box across the table to the young blonde, waved, then departed, leaving the young woman, the box, and the swords.

Curiousity made Eve forget about the mess of swords as she snatched the package from the splintered top of the table.

Her dainty pale hands gently untied the twine and lifted the flaps. She gasped in awe.\

Inside the dingy box was a crown.

The base was crude steel, encrusted with red stones and diamonds, the velvet center was old, but pristine. Who ever cared for this crown knew what they were doing. There were hardly any missing jewels and the steel wasn't even rusted on the outside. The most stunning feature was the center stone.

Eve assumed it was garnet, but after a good cleaning and quick classification, it could be ruby. There was a large crack down the center of the gem, angled at a slant and deep. Whatever managed to crack the stone must have applied great amounts of pressure.

It was magnificent, at least from mid-800 AD, if not older. Eve stared at it for several long seconds without blinking.

The sound of the town's clock striking ten caused Eve to break out of her stupor. The blonde viciously shook her head to wake her up, and gently placed the crown back in it's box. With a sigh, Eve shrugged on her long coat and scarf, grabbed the crown, and left the sword to be categorized later.

Once outside on the snow covered cobblestone street, Eve allowed herself to take a deep breath, the frigid air filling the expanse of her lungs, calming her.

As she exhaled, the distinct sound of sound of some one else breathing out greeted her ears. Eve whipped around, her eyes trained on the forest that outlined the town, searching for, well, anything.

Along the tree line, there stood a man. Probably not much taller than Eve, and he was staring at her. His skin and hair was as white as the snow that laid around them, and his eyes and clothing were equally dark with each other. 

The very presence of the man seemed to terrify Eve. There was an unspoken curfew in town to avoid animal attacks, which has been happening recently. The man stared silently into the dark honey eyes of Eve. Eve tried to keep her eyes open, tried to memorize the face of the pale man, it seemed important to remember his face, but the wind was strong and biting, and her eyes began to water. Surely he couldn't disappear if she blinked?

Her eyes closed for a nanosecond, but when they reopened, the man was gone, leaving Eve in the snow, alone.

---

Okie dokie! first segement of Eve and Vladimir's story. i hoped you enjoyed it! comments give me life!