1991

#1991

"Hello, Louis."

A fading pair of jade eyes looked menacingly down at the newborn squirming in its crib.

The baby, almost a year old, beamed at the stranger with much fond already.

The stranger hovered a pale finger above the baby boy's nose, hesitant to touch him.

"I have waited for this for so long."

The rippling image of the older boy cackled lowly, hushing so that the child's mother would not hear him.

"Finally, I have found something that will rest my hunger for revenge."

He smiled darkly at the ajar door across the room where the widowed mother slept.

With a flick of his hand in the air, the bedroom door closed with a loud slam and the devilish grin on his lips grew wider when the sounds of the woman waking echoed in the quiet house.

He turned to the child who was dazing into space with his leg up.

"That something is you, child."

The deep rumble of chuckling stayed in the nursery and the mother rushed in, hearing the noise.

She checked her son first, holding him tightly in her arms.

Then, she looked around, searching for the source of the disruption in the dead of night.

She relaxed when there was no one else in the room.

The mother kissed her baby's forehead as he stared with wide blue eyes.

"Don't worry, Louis. You're safe with me."

The soft hums began for the third time to help ease the child into sleep but the mother's lullaby was muffled to the child by the same dark chuckles earlier.

His eyes seemed to be staring at his birthmother but really, he was watching the stranger hovering behind her.

The stranger waved his hand and made it so that only the baby could hear him.

"See you next year, Lou."

The chuckling faded at once with the stranger's dissapearance, revealing the luring hum of the mother.

The baby slowly drifted off into a peaceful slumber, not knowing of what's to come every year on.