Gryphon nodded. "What do you have for me?"

"Tanner is ahead of our father in the race right now. They just put up the poll, and Tanner is ahead by a lot. So don't let our father get into his head during the debate tonight."

Gryphon looked at the clock in the room, and winced. "Tanner is already out there, he's already debating with your father. So, guess he'll have to do without that good news until he comes back afterwards."

"Damn. Alright, well, everyone back home is rooting for him, not our dad. We have a good chance at this."

Gryphon agreed; they did have a good chance at winning this. "How is the plan with Polly coming along?"

There was a pause on the other line. "I don't actually know. Kenzie went and met with Polly's uncle today, but I don't know what they talked about. I'm hoping it went well though. If things work out, we'll have her out before the election happens."

That was what Gryphon liked to hear. "Sweet. Alright, I'm going to let you go. I want to hear what Tanner is saying. I'm getting anxiety not being able to hear his answers, y'know?"

"Yeah. We have it on the television here. Oh, Kenzie just came in. Wait one sec," Gryphon waited, hearing Minny call over Kenzie and ask her about Polly. Gryphon couldn't hear Kenzie's answer, but he didn't have to. "Kenzie said that they're moving with the second step. Polly's uncle is waiting for a court date now, and then the court will contact Polly's parents."

Gryphon liked to hear that news. "Awesome. Things are really coming together in our favor, finally. We'll all be able to relax once she's safe again."

"Yeah, tell me about it. Okay, I'll let you go. Kenzie's gettin' worked up about something on the television. Oh, damn, our father just said something good. I'll talk to you later." Then he hung up.

Gryphon looked at the phone in his hand for a moment before he put it back in his pocket. Hearing that Polly was already being saved made him feel better about the situation, but the anxiety of how Tanner was doing was eating at him.

He left the room to stand where Lennard was watching Tanner from the wings of the stage. Tanner looked at ease, his back straight and his hands gripping the podium relaxed. It was Tanner's father who looked more agitated at the moment.

"Tanner's doing well," Lennard offered, cutting Gryphon a glance.

Gryphon played with the ends of his button up shirt. "Great. I can't wait for this to be over."

Lennard chuckled, but offered nothing else on the topic. Gryphon pictured Minny, Kenzie, and Tom all squeezed together watching Tanner back home, and it made his chest tighten at the thought of this family he'd found himself in. He was used to it being just him and his mom, but suddenly he had friends that actually cared for him.

His life was screwed up, but it was getting better. It was becoming worth it.

"You kids are going to lose."

Gryphon and Lennard looked to their left at a grown man and woman standing together, looking important in their outfits. The man held a briefcase, his gaze serious and intimidating.

Lennard didn't bow down. "Pearson. Nice to see you again. I see you've gained weight."

The man bristled at that, his expression changing to anger. The woman beside him narrowed her gaze as well, her eyes taking in the sight of Gryphon and Lennard as if they were disrespectful teenagers.

"Lennard, I see you didn't ever listen to your father's lessons like you should have. You and Tanner may think you understand the game, but you don't. Your father is a master at this. It's laughable that you think you have a fighting chance at winning."