Part 1: A Hasty Exit

"Do you think if I pushed Professor Collins off the roof of the psychology building, I'd still be able to walk at graduation?"

"I'm fairly certain that would earn you some type of disqualification, unfortunately. Points for creativity, though!" I smiled at my flatmate, watching as her dark eyebrows connected together, directing furious thoughts at her laptop screen. "He's an ugly old goat who hates me and just wants me to suffer," she said viciously.

"I thought you said he hated everyone?" I asked conversationally, shifting my own position amid books and various documents on the couch.

"Well, he does," she affirmed, gathering her black corkscrew curls at the base of her neck and securing them with an extra-jumbo binder clip, albeit haphazardly. "Who else would set an end of term reflection this difficult? If he doesn't pass me, I might have to light his toupee on fire."

I smirked, returning my focus back to my own computer, "Go get 'em, Ellen. Make sure you eat breakfast first though; I don't know about the food in prison."

"With you as my legal counsel, I'll be out of there before they could say cockles and laverbread." I snorted, "Sure."

Ellen launched a pillow at me from her spot behind the coffee table. It missed my head, but only just. "Moo, I swear, if you don't think after all of this work that you'll be the most kickass lawyer,I'll beat you over the head with a stick myself."

I sighed, saved my work, and ran a hand over my face. "It's not me you'd have to aim the stick at."

"I'll hit them too, one at a time."

Months of pressure and uneasy feelings left in a raucous laugh."That, that I would pay to see!"

Both chuckling heartily, we returned to our respective laptops, each attempting to beat the clock on our nine a.m.  deadlines.

Ellen had been my rock for the last 3.5 years. She knew when I needed a laugh, when I needed to be reminded to live a little (which was all the time). She was wild, outspoken, and one of the least judgmental people I'd ever met. The two of us had crossed paths in the dining hall of all places, the first week of classes. I'd walked in, constantly looking over my shoulder and skittish. Miraculously, I didn't drop my tray when I sat down by myself, closest to the exit. Ellen had appeared out of nowhere, sliding into the seat next to me. "You look like you need a friend," was all she'd said. It was as simple as that for her: see a need, fill it. I didn't know what I'd do without her after graduation. My time in Cardiff was coming to a close so quickly, and I was terrified that with it came the end of the first friend that had ever loved me for who I truly was.

Shaking my head, I forced myself to refocus on my paper, fixing a few typos before reading it over one last time. I sighed, this would have to do.Pressing submit, I watched my last vestige of freedom float off into the netherspace. Mouth pressed in a thin line at the thought, I snapped my computer closed and stood. "Coffee, El?"

"Yes, please," she intoned, not glancing up from whatever diatribe she was on.

In the kitchen, I took a few deep breaths and turned on the coffee pot. I could do this. I could leave Cardiff, leave Ellen, and do what I had promised. Couldn't I?

My phone's ringer jarred me free of those consuming thoughts. Leaning against the counter, I fished it out of my jumper pocket.

"Yes, Louise?"

"Mum says I can't come tomorrow. James can't either."

"I shouldn't expect so, they're just looking out for you." My ten-year old sister heaved a heavy sigh, " I just want to see you, you've been away so long."