The note is written in small, crooked handwriting, showing that the person rushed to write it. I begin to read.

"Mare

I know you are mad at me because I told the King where you were, but please understand it will lead to the most optimal outcome for your side. You do not believe me, but trust me once more. I was right about everything else and I will be right again. In two days time, someone will come and try to rescue you. It will fail, and you will be left with Maven.

To save your family, fake devotion. Do as he says and anything possible to make him believe you return his feelings. Gain his trust and you will receive important information that can lead to either your downfall or his. I know you will not want to, but you will find success if you do so. The Guard is depending on you, little Lightning Girl."

I do not need it to be signed to know who it is from. Anger burns in me as I rip the letter to pieces. He sold me out to Maven! I know I shouldn't be angry because he did it for the right cause, but I can't help it. Torture and an enormous amount of silent stone can do that to a person. I should let Maven find the letter and punish Jon, but I know I will be punished with him. So I scoop the mushy oatmeal back into the bowl and mix the small shreds in. The paper seems to dissolve quickly.

Not five seconds afterwards, the door slams open and I jump. Looking down at the oatmeal, I see no traces of the treacherous paper left. I smile internally before looking up. Two sentinels stride in, guarding a metal clad woman.

She struts in before glaring down at me.

"Evangeline," I sneer sweetly. "What brings your lovely self here?"

"Shut it, Red." She growls, flicking her wrist in my direction.

The Arvens standing guard outside come in, hauling me up. They bring me to Evangeline swiftly, me putting up no fight as I have little energy. She smirks as she clips on my collar, giving it a harsh tug to 'make sure it's on correctly'. I gag, spitting on her after she laughs. It hits her right on the forehead and a hoarse laugh escapes my mouth.

She wipes it off and goes to punch me but an Arven stops her.

"The King has ordered that no one is to harm the prisoner without him present." He says nervously.

Evangeline glares at him dangerously before lowering her fist.

"You dare do that to me when I am Queen and the filthy red won't be the only prisoner here." She sneers, turning on her heel.

We follow her as she steers us through door after door. Now that I am awake I memorize each and everything we pass. How many windows on the hall? How many lights?

We eventually make it to tall, wooden doors. Evangeline motions for the Arvens to step away from me and I smile internally. Does she think I won't rip her apart? They can control my lightning but they can't control my hands and feet.

The Arvens, as if sensing my thoughts, hesitate.

"Do as I say," she hisses. "If being queen isn't enough to make you listen, I was given permission by-" She was cut off by a sharp voice.

"-by me, Maven Calore, King of Norta." Maven finished for her. The sentinels and Arvens bow quickly and to my disgust I am forced down too. He smirks at this.

Before addressing everyone, Maven leans down to Evangeline and says quietly,"Let me remind you, Lady Samos, you are not queen yet."

I see a flash of anger in her eyes before her face goes blank. "Of course, my King." She coos.