Part 4

"Audrey." Audrey yanked her head up off of the desk.

"I'm awake," she said. Nathan raised an eyebrow, the smallest hint of an amused grin creeping over his stern features. Audrey stared wearily at the tall stack of folders on the desk.

"We seriously need to put these onto the computer," she commented. Her cell phone rang, and she answered it, Olivia's voice echoing out of the phone almost immediately. Nathan tilted his head, and Audrey covered the speaker.

"It's Olivia Dunham," she whispered.

"... on my way to you," Olivia was saying.

"Okay. We'll be –" Audrey broke off as an audible crash came the other side of the line. "Agent Dunham?" There was no answer. "Agent Dunham?" The phone suddenly clicked, and the line went dead. Audrey slowly lowered the phone.

"You alright?" Nathan questioned, his eyes searching her face.

"Yeah." She wrote Olivia's number down on a scrap of paper and pushed it across the desk to Nathan. "Could you trace this number?" Nathan read the number and looked up.

"That's Agent Dunham's number."

"I know." He observed the worried expression on her face.

"You think she's in trouble?"

"I don't know, but it sure sounded like it." Nathan pushed the number back towards Audrey and stood up.

"They're probably staying at Over The Way. Do you want to run down there and check?"

"Yeah." The two started towards the exit. Audrey grabbed her gun off of the desk, holstering it as she walked behind her partner. Nathan noticed the subtle action, but said nothing. A few minutes later, they pulled into the parking lot of the small bed and breakfast. Nathan peered out of the window as he parked behind the FBI agent's rental car. "Everything looks okay."

"Mhm," Audrey murmured absentmindedly. She pushed the passenger door open and got out, circling Agent Dunham's car. Nathan followed her, squinting at the inside of the rental car. Audrey's foot hit something, and she bent over. Her eyes widened slightly. "Nathan!" Nathan joined her, and the two stared at the remains of the cell phone of Agent Dunham.

-----

Olivia tried to open her eyes. She felt sluggish; she couldn't seem to make her limbs obey her as she struggled to push herself to an upright position. Her eyes were unfocused; everything seemed blurry and sound was a distant echo. Her scull throbbed. She pressed her hand to her head, and it came back with traces of caked blood. Though a wave of dizziness almost knocked her over, she finally managed to sit up. No sooner had she done this than a voice spoke out.

"What do you want with me?" The voice seemed to quiver. Olivia squinted, trying to find the source of the voice. A man stepped out of the shadows, and she recognized him immediately as the man in the photo. He was still flickering, but the flashes were slowing down, and he was spending more time unseen than visible. The gun at his side glinted in the dim light filtering through the dusty windows.

-----

Nathan followed Audrey as she hurried towards the hotel. She approached the front desk.

"Excuse me." The lady at the desk didn't move, but slowly turned the page in her book. "I'm going to need the room number of Olivia Dunham," Audrey said impatiently.

"You'll to need a warrant," the lady said, clearly disinterested. Nathan reached over the desk and grabbed the hotel log. "Hey!" Nathan ignored the old lady's complaints and flipped through the worn book.

"Room 201," he said, dropping the log back onto the desk. The two ran up the stairs and pounded on the door.

"Agent Dunham," Audrey called out, urgency creeping into her voice. A couple minutes passed, and Audrey pounded again. Finally, the door opened. Peter squinted at the two officers standing outside the door.

"Peter, where's Olivia?" Audrey tried to look over his shoulder. Peter furrowed his eyebrows.

"Uh, she's right –" he turned to point at Olivia, but the bed was empty, the sheets twisted and pushed back without any regard to neatness. When he spoke again, his face was laced with worry.

"Where is she?"

-----

"Evan, you don't have to do this," said Olivia, starting to push herself to her feet. Evan pointed the gun at her and she stopped.

"How do you know my name?" he questioned quietly, his hand trembling.

"I found your file right before you knocked me out." He let out a mangled cry. The gun drifted a little, but he quickly corrected it.

"Evan, one of my colleagues is a scientist. He might be able to figure out why this is happening," Olivia said desperately. The man laughed bitterly, and a nervous sweat glistened on his forehead.

"Nice try."

"I'm serious." Clearly conflicted, he seemed to consider the possibility, his face contorting in pain. The gun wavered again, but in the end his face was expressionless.

"I'm sorry," he said, and then he pulled the trigger.