Chapter 1 - The Peephole

"Milady, what are you doing? You're going to get us caught."

"Hush, Artmo. Almost there."

The boy named Artmo was utterly nervous. He has never snuck off a single lesson before. To him, it was an important part of their weekdays, like supper with the family and attending the royal court. For him, this felt like mutiny. What if they'll banish me for this? I can't live on the mainland!, his innocent mind thought. How did she convince me to come with her?

Meanwhile, the young girl was ecstatic, as they entered the main hall. She had her race's typical pale golden skin. Her hair, however, was dark as soot, a rare case in her people. Finally, after months of endless wondering, she could finally know what was happening behind "that door". She could now truly satisfy that craving wonderment she had.

The ingenue Lady Ayrenn was filled with an intense, burning curiosity. In fact, for as long as she can remember, it had always seemed to be a part of her. One time, when she had finally perfected how to read and write, she was fascinated by a storybook in the study, just because of its pretty cover. Oddly, it was written in the tongue of Man, a foreign language to her. Yet, somehow, weeks later, she could already speak in it, as fluent as the "men in the basement". At another time, she always wondered about the origins of her name. It was through her constant poring over recorded tomes that she realized she was named after Queen Ayrenn, the founder of the First Aldmeri Dominion. But, she bravely took a step further, and went on to memorize every ruler that came before and after her, all in chronological order.  It was all thanks to that curious mind of hers. Her father calls it an "ability", but she prefers the term "power". It sounded more... grand.

She had now breached the inner halls, with Artmo tailing her. Despite already seeing it a thousand times, it was still a magnificent sight to behold. The walls were made out of clear white stone. Beautiful stained glass windows are carved on the walls, depicting the past rulers of the province in all their glory. The corridor looked magnificent, as the sun's rays shone through the prismatic glass, engulfing the hall in a kaleidoscope of dazzling colors. Orbs of magelight float calmly on white stone braziers, adding much more to the visual spectacle. 

The duo jogged quietly along the carpeted floor, hoping not to spark any attention from a wandering guard. They reached a door, just off the hall's end.

"Milady, isn't this door to the kitchens? What are we doing here?" The boy, Artmo, was sweating bolts from all the worrying. 

She shushed him, before closing her right palm. Okay, remember the technique. Just focus, she thought. She closed her eyes, thinking solely of the incantation, and took a deep breath. She opened her right hand, where a small, liquid-like blue orb was now casually floating on. Artmo couldn't believe his eyes.

"What are you doing, Milady? You know we mustn't cast magic outside of class!" He wondered.

Ayrenn ignored him, and proceeded to cast, using all of her magickal energy on it. Instantly, she saw her world drained of all color. The walls, the floor, and upwards to the ceiling; all once majestically colorful, now a shade of bland grey. She looked over at Artmo, who unlike the world around her, was glowing a calm shade of blue, from his golden locks all the way to his fine boots. 

It worked!, she thought. She glanced over at the door, and saw nothing. Still just a door, albeit grayer than before. Smiling yet mentally strained from the ordeal of holding the spell, she closed her palm. The orb evaporated , and the world returned to its colorful appeal.

"No one behind there. Let's go." She said, opening it. Just like she predicted, the kitchen was void of anyone. Pieces of uncooked food lay on the table, and the only sign of life was a crackling fire boiling a cauldron.