Missing You

I am sitting on the plane. Headphones up. Listening to music. I'm not really focused on the sounds coming from headphones. Instead, I am replaying the events of the day before.

Yesterday

"You're moving to Australia?" Mackenzie'd asked me.

We were lying on the grass in my back garden, looking up at the stars and I'd just broken the news to her.

"Yeah." I'd said glumly.

"Wow! That's amazing!" Mackenzie had said.

I'd looked at her taken aback, not really expecting that kind of reaction.

"You're happy that I'm going?" I'd said.

"Well...no," Mackenzie'd said, "but, you already seem so upset about it so the least I can do is be happy for you."

"It's so unfair." I'd whined. "Everything was perfect for once and then my parents had to ruin it by announcing that we're moving."

"They didn't ruin it." Mackenzie'd said. "I mean, you're going to AUSTRALIA."

"Yeah, but..." I'd started.

"It'll be fine, Johnny." Mackenzie'd reassured me.

"What about 'us'?" I'd said.

"What about us?" Mackenzie had asked.

"Are you sure it'll work?" I'd said.

"Of course it will!" Mackenzie'd said.

"But, Long distance relationships never work!" I'd argued.

"Then we'll make it work." Mackenzie'd said, turning to kiss me.

I kissed her back.

"Don't forget to Facetime!" Mackenzie'd said as she'd got up of the ground.

"You too." I'd said, getting up too.

"Everyday!"

"Yep."

"So, this is it?" Mackenzie'd said.

"Guess so." I'd said.

I'd stepped towards her and gave her a hug. Holding her so tight, as if I'd never let her go. We broke apart, still in each other's arms.

"Goodbye, Johnny." Mackenzie'd said.

We kissed. Then she'd walked away, leaving me behind.

"Goodbye, Mackenzie." I'd said quietly.

"Johnny?" I hear my sister Lauren say.

"What?" I say, putting down my headphones.

"Eh, you're drooling."

I glare at her.

"What?!" Lauren hisses angrily.
"I get that you're upset about leaving your precious girlfriend, but that's not an excuse to be so moody."

I roll my eyes.

"I mean, I'm leaving Hayden aren't I? And I'm fine with it. So I don't see why you can't be!" Lauren says annoyed. "Like, seriousl-"

"Lauren?" I say.

"Yes?"

"Just shut up." I say and I put my headphones back in, increasing the volume and blocking out Lauren's complaining about how rude I am for ignoring her.

All through the flight I remain my position. Headphones up.

"John," Lauren says, shaking me. "Wake up! We're here! We're in Australia!"

I look out of the airplane window, and take in the view.

***

Walking through an Australian airport is super hard. Within minutes I've lost my family.

"Great." I mutter to myself.

I am clutching my dog, Bentley in one hand and holding my passport in the other. I frantically look around for any guide for finding my parents.

I see the 'Welcome to Brisbane, Queensland.' sign hovering above me.

Okay. I tell myself. I'm at the airport entrance, so my family can't be to far from here.

I scan the faces of the people around me, until I finally find my family.

I push through the crowd trying to get to my parents and I bump into a girl. She is carrying a few things and they all come tumbling down along with my stuff. The only thing I've managed to hang on to is Bentley.

"Oops sorry." I say as I start to pick up my belongings.

"Sorry." The girl says as she picks up the remainder of my stuff.

She hands them to me and I finally get a proper look at her.
She has wavy blonde hair and sea blue eyes.

"Thanks." I say as I take them.

"No problem." She says.

There's this silent moment that lasts for about ten seconds.

"Okay, I should really get going..." I say.

"Yeah me too." She says looking down. "See you around."

"Yeah." I say.

***

"There you are!" Lauren says when I finally reach them. "Where were you?"

"I, um, got lost." I say.

"Okay..." Lauren says. "We're going to try some Australian food..."

"Okay." I say, following my family into the restaurant.

I turn my head and I can still see the blonde haired girl in the distance. As I look at her for a bit longer, I begin to see her change into a brunette with brown eyes. She turns her head and I see her face.

"Mackenzie." I say quietly.

Her brown hair changes back to blonde and I once again see the blonde haired, blue eyed girl.

Puzzled, I look away.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I wonder.