Menagerie: Chapter Eight

In which Red Sonja doesn't have a plan.

"Wake up, sleepy – aargh!"

Two heartbeats after nudging Sonja's sleeping form with his boot, Jharlen was flat on his back with the red-haired she-devil kneeling astride his chest, holding a dagger to his throat. She raised her eyebrows.

"Er, good morning?" Jharlen ventured.

Sonja let him up. "How much further to this tower?"

"We should be there this afternoon."

"Tell me about it."

"What do you mean?"

"How big, how many entrances, any defences like walls or ditches. Useful things to know in advance."

"I see. Well, like I said it was a ruin last time I was there, and Galud must've made some changes, if only to make it habitable. But it's circular, maybe sixty paces round. Short and squat, not particularly high, but with a flat roof where you could stand and watch the surrounding country – though the woods should provide us with some cover. It's right on the river. Two entrances that I remember. One on the landward side; no door when I was there, but that will have changed for sure. The other entrance is the water-gate. You can row a small boat directly inside. No ditches that I recall."

They walked on in silence for some time. Around noon they stopped to rest and eat. They didn't make a fire.

"Do you have a plan?" Jharlen asked suddenly.

"No."

"No?"

"No. A few ideas, though. The first is to approach unseen. I suggest we stay here for a bit and approach at night. The second is not to knock at the main door but to have a good look at things before deciding on anything rash. The third is to keep my wits about me and my blade ready."

"Right. Whatever we decide to do, though, I'd rather do it in daylight."

"Afraid of the dark?"

"I'm afraid of the tower, day or night, but I'm not going to let that hold me back. No; my point is that I'm a good archer, as you know, but I need to be able to see what I'm aiming at."

"I'll bear it in mind."

A pause, then Jharlen said, "Can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"Are you afraid?"

"Of course. I always am."

"Always?"

"Always. I've lost count of the number of battles I've fought. Against men, monsters – whole armies sometimes. And always I'm afraid. Only the stupid never feel fear. But I've learnt to use the fear; to channel it, make me stronger. It's complicated."

"It sounds as if you almost enjoy battle."

Sonja didn't answer for a long time. Then she said "You ask too many questions, and we don't have time for my life-story. Anyway, I think we've waited long enough. Lets get moving."

They marched on; more cautiously now, glancing to left and right as they went. The thought was unspoken, but each knew that the nearer they got to the tower, the greater would be the chances of encountering something nasty.

The Gods smiled on them, however, and just as dusk was falling they came to a place where the trees had been cleared away.

"There you are," whispered Jharlen, "the Howling Tower."