More Than This (Isabellestories contest entry)

Prologue

"Tay!" Melissa screamed the second I opened up the front door and wrapped me in a tight hug. "Happy birthday babe, you're finally eighteen!" She pulled away from the hug and immediately went straight to the kitchen. Classic Melissa, always looking for food.

"I know! I'm really excited, but I feel so old!" I said following her to the kitchen and taking a seat at the table. Melissa sat down next to me with a big bag of chips and a soda.

I don't get Melissa at all, she's one of the skinniest people I know but she eats like a pig! She does exercise quite a lot but her eating habits are a bit ridiculous sometimes. She's also one of the most amazing people I know, and I get jealous of her flawless looks sometimes. With long, curly, blond hair and gorgeous chocolate brown eyes, she has the looks any girl would kill for.

My dull, frizzy, brunette hair is nothing in comparison to Melissa's hair, it's very curly but all the frizz makes it look bad. If I want it to look decent I have to put in loads of hair product which usually doesn't work anyway. I'm not out to impress anyone so usually a ponytail or messy bun works for me.

The only thing I like about my looks are my blue eyes, people always compliment me on them. That at least makes me happy since I don't have nice hair.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to that 'old feeling' after a week or so." She said putting 'old feeling' in quotation marks, then shoving a handful of chips into her mouth.

"Want some?" She asked, barely understandable since her mouth was full of chips.

"I'm good, and I told you to close your mouth when you talk!" I scolded her laughing.

"Eh, whatever." She said and continued to chomp away on the chips while I made an actual sandwich for myself for lunch.

"So, what are we doing today?" Melissa asked, I could tell she had her mouth full by the way her voice sounded.

"Uh, I don't know. Please tell me you don't have anything planned." I said turning to her with a glare, if she planned a party for me I swear I'm going to kill that girl.

"I honestly didn't plan anything this time, I swear!" She put her hands up in surrender.

"Good," I said, continuing to make my sandwich. "I kinda just want to hang out today, no big party or anything."

"Huh," Melissa sighed dramatically. "You know, you're missing out by not ever going to parties or clubs or anything! I mean come on, you're young, not a sixty year old woman. Have a little fun!"

"Well Melissa, I'm pretty sure it's obvious that I'm not a party girl like you. I just like to lay low and hang out with my friends, not go to random clubs and dance with strangers." I finished up my sandwich and joined Melissa back at the kitchen table.

"I know," She said sighing. "It was worth a shot though. What type of sandwich is that?" Her attention quickly turned to the food sitting across from her.

"Turkey." I said and took a big bite of it. Mhmm, Delicious. Turkey is my favorite, it goes great with lettuce and tomatoes on a sandwich.

"Yum!" Melissa said, her eyes lighting up at the mention of good food. "Can I have some?"

"No, get your own." I said and turned away from her so she wouldn't try to steal my sandwich.

*DING! DONG!*

"Who's here now?" I said, placing my Delicious turkey sandwich down and standing up to get the door. "Don't touch my sandwich!" I pointed my finger at Melissa and gave her a warning look.