Chapter 1: Don't Try To Provoke a Mafioso

Elijah placed the bowl of vegetable soup on the table, eyeing Isaac not to complain nor say anything about it. Isaac ate it quickly, trying to ease the taste of his sworn enemy which is carrots and lettuce while Elijah suppressed her hunger, comforting herself by thinking ‘If Isaac can eat well, then it is okay if I gave him the last bits of our food.’

Their life had been difficult and they were lucky enough to survive for three years of running away from the ferocious Mafioso whom their father had borrowed money from. They came from a wealthy family because their father was a Kshatriyas, a man who lived all his life, battling and confronting different armies from the east. But their father was inferior to the Mafioso who ruled the entire city they’re living at three years ago and they were known to have strong members of different kind. Elijah couldn’t forgive his father since he recklessly borrowed money from ‘them’ and wasted it on women. After that incident, their father suddenly disappeared without a trace. Unfortunately, as they are the only children left in the Wright household, their lives was in danger. The Mafia would do anything to squeeze out information from them regarding their father’s whereabouts.

They moved from place to place after ‘that’ incident however, the Mafioso would always find their sanctuary. Thus, because of the travelling expenses and other stuffs, they became Commoners, just right next to the Untouchables. Women are deprived of authority to do jobs at their time and Elijah was a girl. She was a girl, inside and out, & from wherever angle you may look at but she was a brave, young woman, willing to do everything for the sake of her brother. But that couldn’t change the fact that she looks like a girl. That’s why she decided to live and pretend to be a boy her whole life, just like her little brother, Isaac.

At the present time, they’re living in a secluded place near the shore of the island and the Wright siblings could get all of the fresh, ocean air they want. Elijah decided to do some labor works in some exclusive ships, boarding the higher class of the society while pretending to be a boy. Her pay is quite hefty but their lodging expenses are far more expensive than her payment and unfortunately, she lost her work that day because the ship, Maria Dono, was attacked and conquered by pirates.

‘Tch… Curse that pirates stole who my precious job’ Elijah thought, calculating their next travelling expenses while Isaac plays his wooden flute magnificently.

All of a sudden, they heard a loud rap on the door. Elijah grabbed her fencing sword and gestured Isaac to get out of there immediately. They already know who it was. Of course, would a normal person smack the door real hard? No, they’d never do that. Only one answer is left. They’re the Mafioso.

“Open the door, you little rascals!!”

 The Mafioso shouted while storming the door loudly. A few moments later, the Mafioso got irritated and destroyed the door as he emerged inside the house but found no one’s presence. His face became firm and serious, feeling the feet of the Wright siblings stomping quietly on the second floor. He took out his gun and filled it with ammo before he ran upstairs, looking for them. He blasted the roof, making the Wright siblings shriek quietly but was loud enough to catch the attention of the Mafioso. 

Every step that the man made was like a missile, pounding hard on the concrete floor. Elijah slipped quickly through the window while Isaac did the same.

“There you are!”                                                   

Or not.

Isaac flinched as he immediately battles in the part of his shirt, stuck in the edge of the window. He swore and cursed until the man caught his hair, pulling him upwards, his shirt torn apart. The Mafioso pointed his knife on Isaac’s neck.

“Tell me where your father is and I will spare your life”

Elijah was worried about Isaac since he didn’t show up for a few seconds. She readied the guns in her hands before she went to their house again.

Isaac muttered “Never in your wildest dreams” and the Mafioso got pissed off. Before he could slash his neck off, a bullet stroked his hand while Isaac took the opportunity to throw his knife on the Mafioso’s knee, leaving the poor Mafioso yelp in an excruciating pain.  Isaac saw Elijah and continued to follow her. They ran and ran until they could find a safe place to conceal themselves with. They were at an abandoned shop, creaking with the smell of rats, fading light coming from the top and a few broken furniture scattered everywhere.

“Damn it!” Isaac shouted while the two of them are desperately finding some air as he continued, “H-he almost killed me!”

Elijah could tell that Isaac is trembling quite insanely, hands covered in sweat and eyes showing endless fear. She took her handkerchief and tried to wipe her brother’s sweat while saying, “It’s okay we’re fi-“

“No, we’re not fine!” Isaac shouted, making Elijah gasp in surprise since he rarely talked back to his sister like that. She narrowed her eyes and then, gave another sigh.

“Why is it not fine?” Elijah questioned Isaac seriously, self-debating whether he understood their situation or not but still, she hoped for the brighter side. Isaac clenched his fist and gritted his teeth before responding.

“I hate living like this! I hate running away from them! I hate it! I hate it!  I hate every-“

Isaac coughed and pleaded for his sister to get his medicine. She did.

Elijah slapped Isaac’s back and realized that he had been tolerating their life too. He was only eighteen but she never expected him to understand that much and for that, she’s thankful. She hugged Isaac while he showed no signs of reluctance, welcoming the embrace and warmth he was receiving from his big sister.

“I’ll-… I’ll work hard to pay off our father’s debt until then, can you keep it in? I know you want to have a normal life. I really know it but please, Isaac, please wait for a few years. I promise to earn enough money to-”

She couldn’t tell what she was thinking afterwards. She wanted to say that ‘Maybe you want to be separated from me and live a normal life’. She tried that once a few months ago but Isaac shut her up by saying “Never! Never! Never! If you leave me, I’ll kill myself!”

She wanted Isaac to have a normal life, live happily forever without knowing the other side of the world. Gosh, she felt like his mother but she was just a sister and yet, she had an obligation. She had an important obligation to take care of him. 

Isaac nodded understandingly and said “Okay” while shedding a few tears as Elijah hugged him tighter, making Isaac feel much better, more protected and more secured by his sister’s side.