[Prologue]

Glancing down from the highest floor

Singing about a life-sized, eternal love.

It's futile to try, this heart is a no entry zone.

<><><><><>

The city was vast along with an amount of high structures. The lights were as bright as ever; so bright to the point where it was quite difficult to see the beautiful stars. But, that's expected when you live in the city, huh? Well, they were especially bright around this time of the year since it was Christmas.

I sat on the ledge of a building, 15 stories tall, as heartbroken as ever. Kicking my feet back and forth, I had only one statement that rang in the back of my head.

Life is punishing me.

I wonder how suicidal I look and sound. Sitting on a roof 15 stories high, thinking about life. Pathetic, is it not? Disregarding depressing thoughts, I try to lighten myself up a bit by singing. It was one of the few things I actually excel at.

Who knew that spending Christmas alone would be so heartbreaking? I suppose that everything in my life will have to be done alone.

Eating alone.

Celebrating alone.

Living alone.

That can't be helped, right?

I worked at a small bakery on the main street. I made enough to financially support myself. The bakery is very busy this time of year due to our famous peppermint chip cookies, but that's a whole other story. I have to pay my rent somehow. As of where I live, I lived in this building that I am currently on. It's an apartment building with not that much happening in it, which are nice for quiet nights. But, on nights like this, it's a bit noisy. I chose to get away from all that clamor, hence the reason why I'm sitting on the roof.

The stars above twinkle as I faintly hear the cheerful laughs from those below. Of course, they were celebrating this holiday with their loved ones. The temperature seemed to be below freezing, yet here I am out here in a skirt. Not to mention that it was lightly snowing as well. I brush the light amount of snow from my shoulders and await the incoming cold.

"It seems that some people are actually enjoying their Christmas." I sigh. I stand up from the ledge and instead of sitting on it, I rest my elbow on the cold concrete. One leg was crossed behind the other while another sigh was audible. White puffs trickle and escape from my mouth.

Suddenly, the door that was the exit to the roof behind me opened slightly. A figure could be seen. I could not make out their face or anything to be exact due to the backlight coming from that exit.

"My my, I hope you're not planning on jumping off, miss. That would be such a bummer." A male voice sneers.

"Of course not. Just trying to get away from all the happiness below." Turning around to face the male fully, I reply.

"It looks like the 2 of us think alike. All my friends are busy this time of year." As the figure slowly gravitated towards me, I began to notice its features.

Red hair.

Slightly sadistic yellow eyes.

Care-free smile.

"It seems so." I chuckle. "Mind if I ask what your name is? You don't seem half bad."

"My name is Karma. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.