Chapter 2

2

"Oh, Arianna," Mrs. Herbin scolded as she walked into Ari's bedroom the next morning, frowning at the haphazard piles of clothing spread out upon the bed. They weren't even folded crisply, and after she'd ironed them. "Why don't you let me do this?"

"Because you always over pack."

"I do not! Oh, perhaps on occasion I have packed somewhat heavily, but I won't this time."

Ari donned a sad expression. "You always say that, but then you always do. Beautifully, I will admit. Far more beautifully than I am capable. But the problem is I will have to spend just as much time unpacking all the unnecessary things and repacking the necessary ones as it would have taken to pack in the first place."

"It's not right, a young lady doing her own packing."

Ari grinned. "It's sensible," she cajoled.

Mrs. Herbin folded her arms stubbornly. "You are getting to the age, Arianna, where you should consider being less sensible and more correct."

Ari struggled to contain the burst of laughter that wanted escape.

The housekeeper eyed the items Ari was bringing. "Where is your nightgown and robe?"

"I'm not bringing any." The horrified look on Mrs. Herbin's face was too much and Arianna gave in to her merriment. "I'll sleep in that," she explained gesturing to a chemise. "It's light and doesn't take up much room. Where we're going is quite warm and you have to understand how far our trunks are going to be lugged."

"Oh, I know how far! Halfway round the world, where no young lady belongs."

"I will have a tent to myself—"

"A tent," Mrs. Herbin scoffed.

"And no one will see me. It's not as if I'll be having cozy chats at night wearing my nightgown and robe. I must keep the weight of my luggage to a minimum."

Mrs. Herbin clucked her tongue and folded her hands on her stomach. "We can discuss this later. I came to tell you that Mr. Derringer is here."

Ari huffed. "Why didn't you say so?"

"I just did, didn't I?"

Ari shook her head as she started from the room.

"He's in the library," Mrs. Herbin said over her shoulder.

"After you," Ari said from the door.

Mrs. Herbin turned to her with a scowl.

"Come on," Ari coaxed. "I know you. You'll have three trunks neatly packed and ready to go by the time I get back, two and half of which I will not need."

Reluctantly, Mrs. Herbin vacated the room. "It is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it," she cautioned.

"Why does that have a familiar ring to it?" Ari mused. "Could it be I've heard it a hundred times before?"

"Apparently, it's not gotten through your head yet," Mrs. Herbin replied as Ari shut the door behind her.

Ari planted a kiss on the housekeeper's soft cheek and walked on. She reached the staircase and sailed down the stairs, mentally bracing herself for seeing Marshall. He was not going to like her going, but it was her life. How many opportunities like this would come her way?