Izzie let out a deep sigh as his lips seemed to wipe away all of her pain; she never wanted to let him go.

She tried to keep him close forever but her grip failed and a cry escaped her lips.

“I love you, I love you,” Drystan cried as he pressed more kisses against her lips, his fingers brushing her hair back from her face, “You’re the strongest, most lovable person I know,”

Izzie chuckled in pain, “You don’t have to lie to me just because I’m dying,”

“You’re not dying,” Drystan growled, “Do you hear me!? You’re not dying!”

Izzie stared into Drystan’s eyes and no matter how much she wanted to believe him, she couldn’t.

“I’m cold,” Izzie murmured.

“No,” Drystan shook his head as he held her closer, unable to accept that she was dying, “No, you’re not dying. I won’t let you,”

Izzie chuckled as she lifted her hand and pressed it against his wet cheek, it was warm and she closed her eyes in ecstasy.

“No, you can’t die,” Drystan leaned forward and pressed his forehead against hers, his throat catching when he felt how cold she was, “You can’t die because we’re meant to get married,”

Izzie opened her eyes in shock.

“We were going to get married; Thomas would perform the service,”

Izzie smiled as he conjured a beautiful image up in her mind.

“It’d be in the forest; I could wear a dress,” Izzie smiled as she remembered her mother’s white gown she had been saving for them, “I could meet your family,”

“Yes,” Drystan smiled, “They’d love you. And then we’d tour the country and save a few villages before we set up our own house,”

“And the others could visit,” Izzie looked up and smiled at Jarred and the others who were all watching her with sadness, “We could have our own family,” Izzie whispered with happiness as a dream she never knew she had suddenly sprang to life.

“Two boys and a girl,” Drystan kissed her again, closing his eyes in the hopes that he would open them again and this would all be a bad dream, “They’d all have your perfect brown eyes,”

But as his eyes opened again, he realised that it was all very real.

Izzie’s breathing started to falter, her chest rising in short gasps, as blood dribbled out from between her lips and onto her chin.

“No, Izzie!” Drystan cried, crushing her against him, “Stay with me!”

Izzie tried her best to smile up at him when her head lolled back, too weak to support her own weight, when the sun suddenly broke out from behind a cloud and covered her in warmth and light.

Izzie couldn’t help staring into the light as it seemed like the entire sky had been engulfed in a white blanket.

Tears spilled down her face as Thomas gripped her hand, trying to keep her there, his soft prayers in the background, but Izzie could only watch the sky as figures stepped forward out of the light and she saw her mother and sister.

Her beautiful family were smiling and waving at her to join them; as if they had been waiting for her to come home.

They hadn’t aged a day when another figure stepped forward, wrapping his arm around her mother’s shoulders, and he held that warm smile Izzie had missed so dearly.

It was her father.

Come home, Isadora, He called to her softly, his arm stretched for her to take his hand, You've done your duty. You can rest now. Come home.

“Father,” Izzie whispered as tears flowed down her cheeks. She feared that she had been destined for a deep level of hell for the torment she caused and yet as she looked up at the sky and saw her family beckoning to her, she realised that this was how it was meant to be.

She was meant to die. She had served her purpose in this world.

Izzie! Iagan’s northern chuckle filled her ears and Isadora reluctantly tore her eyes off her family to see the Scottish brute, who had protected her so fiercely, holding his daughter and wife close as he waved her up to join them.

He had been reunited with his family after the years of being so long apart. Izzie ached with joy for him.

“Drystan,” Izzie gasped as she turned back to look at him, “I’m not afraid anymore,”

Izzie,” Drystan pleaded, “Don’t go. I love you,”

“And I love you,” Izzie coughed through the last few moments of her life, “Please,” Izzie begged knowing that she needed to say this before it was too late, “Live. Live for me”

“Izzie,” Drystan cried, his hands warming her cold skin as he kissed her one last time.

“I’ll say hello to Iagan for you,” Izzie lifted the corner of her lips up into a smile before she let out one last sigh of life.

And she was gone.