Fourteen - New Knowledge

Start from the beginning

I nod, and take the pen the girl offers me and sign my album, which is called Peace in my heart, and hand it back to her. Lea signs hers as well and gives it to the girl, we pose for pictures and the girl smiles at us as she leaves. 

I turn to Lea, still staring after the girl. "Oh my god, that was..." Lea nods. 

"Surreal? Yea, that's becoming a very universal word." She laughs and tugs on my arm. "Come on girlie, we're almost done." 

~*~

We finally get everything we've come for and we go to check out. As we start to get stuff up on the belt, something catches my eye, and by something I mean magazines, and by magazines I mean a shit ton of them.

A shit ton of them with me on the cover. 

Every. Single. One. 

I stop what I'm doing and go the the rack, picking a couple up and looking through them. 

THE ACCIDENT THAT CHANGED IT ALL, SEE WHERE SARA AND NICK WERE GOING THAT FATAL NIGHT PAGE 116

SARA ALEXANDER'S ALBUM ON HOLD, FANS OUTRAGED 

SARA AND NICK, RELATIONSHIP CRUMBLES.

NARA BABY, IS NICK EVEN THE REAL FATHER?

As I flip through the stacks, the pages, it's Nara this Nara that.

I find that I'm really getting tired of Nara. I mean, really? Lea walks up to me with the cart and I look at her apoligetically. "God, I'm sorry this.. all of this just.. god. I'm on every single cover!"

She shakes her head. "It's really crazy, isn't it?" I nod, looking over pictures of Nick and I holding hands on a beach. Lea continues, "How they can just print lies like that and publish it. It's really fucking unfair. And you know what? We can't do shit about it, there's no repeal that we can do... we can't take them to court, we can't sue them. It's called publicity. And that, my dear friend," She says, taking my hands in hers. "Is the ugly side of being a celebrity. It's not all cupcakes and rainbows. That's why you have to be extra careful with what you say."

She looks me in the eye, taking on a serious tone I haven't seen in her. "If you accidently say something to the paps you don't mean, you make a wrong face, you hug the wrong person, you laugh with the wrong person, you fucking touch the wrong person.. it will all be taken at face value. Every single little thing you do, and if you do even one little thing wrong..." She picks up a magazine. "It will be plastered on every magazine rack, in every isle, in every Wal-Mart in America."

She takes a deep breath. "That's just how it is."

She gives me a look and then starts pushing the cart out of the store. I follow after her, thinking over every word she said. 

This is most definitely going to take some getting used to. 

~*~

On the way home from the store, I ask Lea a question that's been bugging me since I saw the magazines. There was one title in particular that left me confused. 

"Lea?"

"Hmm?"

"Were... Nick and I having any problems?"

She turns to look at me briefly, and then looks back at the road. "Why do you say that?" 

"I saw a magazine title on how Nick and I's relationship was apparently crumbling. I mean, I know that the people lie but were we having problems?"