But even as he spoke, Meyer knew Jato would be too late. He needed to act—even if it meant attempting the impossible... He couldn't give up—

The door to his room opened, and Meyer leapt to his feet as Jaeda entered.

"We need to talk," she said.

Before Meyer could respond, Damian started for the door, his face blank in his wide eyed expression. Meyer wanted to tell him to come back—that this wasn't the time for formalities and respectful privacies—but already his small friend had left the room.

Jaeda shut the door, and Meyer found himself talking anyway. "We're in danger," he said. "Adryn—"

"Stop," said Jaeda. "We're all going to be fine. Jebb told us this morning that we're leaving to the Galazar Mountains—"

"I know," interrupted Meyer. "Next week. It's not soon enough."

"Can you just listen to me?" said Jaeda sharply.

Meyer was about to respond, but he restrained himself, staring at Jaeda's hard face—her concealed emotions, peircing eyes. He tried to return her gaze, but his mind was racing with thoughts of the Magician and Adryn. Why did he feel so distant... He hadn't seen Jaeda for five days, but even as he stood before her, his mind was restless...

"How could you have never told me about the Magician?" she said. "Maybe I could have forgiven that, but to bring me outside the Dale when you knew about the danger?"

Meyer tried to focus on Jaeda's words, but they seemed so insignificant... She was focused on the past... That didn't matter now...

"But the real danger," began Meyer.

"Real danger?" said Jaeda, her voice rising. "I'll tell you the real danger. It's your rash decisions. You create the problems. You leave everyone guessing. You act impulsively. I should have known from the first time you tried to leave the Dale. Jebb might be naive, but at least he has our interests at heart. He and Moon have kept us safe against the Magician, and they'll continue to do so. If only you wouldn't be such an exceptionalist—"

"You don't know what you're talking about," said Meyer quietly, but his voice was shaking. "If you let me show you—"

"No," said Jaeda. "I don't want you to show me anything."

Meyer stared at her, but no words came to him. All he felt was an overwhelming sense of anger, fear and confusion, and then the sick feeling began to rise in his stomach. He turned away just as the door slammed.

For a moment Meyer stood staring at his empty room, his heart pounding, his mind fixed on his last vision of Jaeda—her sad and beautiful face, imprinted in his memory—but then he stepped slowly towards his desk.

There was no time for emotion. No time for pain. Picking up the triple gemmed ring, he slipped it onto his finger. With a final deep breath, he flung himself into the void.

"I have commanded that the Raider attacks be resumed," said Eschera, her purple eyes, cold and maniacal, swimming before Meyer.

"Odessa's son will not be found there," said a second voice, soft and powerful, and so resonant that its timbre seemed to engulf Meyer, reverberating through his mind. "Still, the Raiders have been a useful asset... If allowing them to continue their assaults preserves their loyalty and utility, then all the better..."

"Yes, your greatness."

"We are nearing the moment when our powers are to be united and declared openly... Even now our servant in Ilith brings us one step closer to victory..."

The Currents of Magicजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें