"You bastard." Edmund couldn't help but crack a smile. "I should have expected that of a renowned drunkard."

"I will go get some glasses." Captain Jack lumbered out of the room and Edmund's face turned sombre.

Juliet. Please tell me you are safe. 

******

Juliet's POV

"Tuck in everyone!" Francis said merrily and a chorus of "Ayes!" rang out.

Juliet stared at the wide spread infront of her. There was potato soup and a whole array of dishes she didn't recognize.

"What are you staring at? It's not poison." Francis elbowed her.

"Francis! You shouldn't treat a lady like that," his mother chided softly.

"This is why you will never get married," Sarah, a pleasant looking girl with plaited hair, teased. 

"Says the unmarried women," Francis muttered.

"Peace my children, you are startling our guest." Francis' mother glared at all of them and stuffed some food into her husband's, who was a timid-looking man, plate.

Suddenly, there was a loud knocking on the door. "Open up!" A man shouted.

Everyone froze. "Everyone keep quiet," Francis' mother snapped. "It's probably the landowner's men. We don't want any trouble." She got up and walked towards the door and opened it slightly.

Juliet peered but could only see a burly looking man holding a torch. Suddenly, she gasped. There was an emblem on the soldier's clothing. It was the Aughust's family emblem. This was one of Edmund's man.

"Good evening sire, may I know why you are here at this hour?" Francis' mother said pleasantly. 

"Have you seen a young woman pass by here earlier today?" the soldier demanded.

"No sire."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes sire."

"Then you wouldn't mind if I check your compound?"

Juliet saw Francis' mother's body stiffen but she bowed and nodded. "Please go ahead."

Petrified, Juliet's eyes scanned the room but there was no place to hide. She could only maintain a straight face as a few men entered the room. The once cozy cottage suddenly had a chilling atmosphere.

The men scanned their faces. "Are these all your children?" he motioned to them.

"Aye, sire," Francis' mother replied.

The head soldier's eyes touched lightly on each of them but luckily, his gaze didn't linger on her. Thankfully, she had taken a bath earlier and was dressed in plain farmer's clothes and Francis' sisters had plaited her hair so she appeared to be younger than she actually was.

"Sorry to disturb you m'am," the head soldier nodded and he motioned to his men to leave.

Everyone held their breath until the door was shut close.

"What was that?" Francis asked loudly.

"Hush my dear," Francis' mother said and turned to Juliet. "Lady Juliet, by any chance, were those men looking for you?"

"Mother! Your imagination is letting your mind run. What does Juliet have anything to do with those soldiers?"

"I...." Juliet lowered her head. "I...I have some affiliations with Lord Aughust..."