8

Julie just ran away. That was what she always did whenever she felt like she messed things up. She was on that plane to Phoenix right now, and her thoughts were filled with questions about her and Christen's relationship.

Of course she loved her. That wasn't the problem. Julie couldn't help thinking about Carli's words again ; did she really let her concentration on soccer go for a girl ? Like, she's worked her ass off to get here. Was she willing to get kicked out of the team if the results weren't there ? Of course she was being psychotic, but still. She knew she needed soccer in her life. But she also needed Christen. Her headache got even worse when she got of the plane and took a taxi to a small area downtown.

With an huge bad on her back, she walked five minutes and found herself under the good porch. She just looked at the door for a while, before knocking on the door. When her sister Melanie opened the door and saw her, she just froze. All the surprise and the hate she had for her the day of the wedding seemed to have faded away. The girl just pulled Julie in an embrace filled of love. Julie started crying.

Melanie just held her tighter.

- I got you. You're safe now, sis, she whispered in her ears. Let's get inside before you catch a cold. Come on.

Julie just followed her and dropped her bag on the floor. Her sister made them some tea, and the duo sat on the living room. Julie was a mess, to say the least. Melanie knew her sister wouldn't come for help if she wasn't in need. And the topic of the coming discussion wasn't going to be a surprise either ; Melanie read the newspaper two days ago and saw the article. Ever since, people that know the family kept sending her texts asking if Julie really was a lesbian or something. Melanie didn't answer, since she thought those questions were stupid.

She looked over at her little sister, who had her eyes locked on the floor.

- You got scared, didn't you ? she asked carefully.

As an answer, Julie nodded. Melanie didn't know Christen that well, but one time she went to see a Red Stars game and the girl came at her, introducing herself as JJ's best friend. She just seemed to be a good person.

- You know, you shouldn't be, she let out. Christen loves you. I saw it in her eyes. And she's not ready to give up on you.

- But it all came so fast, I didn't want to tell my teammates, and now the whole world know a-and...

- And what ? Melanie said. At least they know now, and you don't have to hide anymore. Furthermore, you guys became LGBT icons. They all think you don't care about the way people look at you, and that everybody that is gay should do the same.

Julie's eyes went wide, but she didn't have the time to answer since Melanie was ready to talk again.

- Julie, I know you care about her. Don't hide behind silly excuses. You're not scared because it might end you career - I mean, it obviously won't - but because of what people can say about you two. People are mean, I get it. Of course some people will say it's disgusting. Of course some others will look at you meanly. But a lot more are just going to smile at you, and some people will accept who they are because they have two great role models to look up to ! So stop being a child and get your girl back !

It was like something clicked in Julie. Melanie was right about everything, she knew it. It seemed like her sister didn't have a problem with who she was dating. She also knew her parents wouldn't change their minds. But most importantly, her teammates weren't the ones that could judge them because they loved each other. Moreover, Carli did send a text to Julie, apologizing and saying that it was okay.

She just realized she left the Press without saying goodbye.

- I'm such an idiot ! she exclaimed.

As she was taking her phone to text Christen, she received a message from her. She froze, and felt sick for a minute.

I can't believe you left me. If you run away every time things get complicated, I don't see why we'd stay together.

***

Tobin picked up Allie when she got out of the hospital. Kelley left in the morning, claiming to have to deal with family problems. The blonde seemed beyond tired, but thankful to still be alive.

She drove right at her apartment, since Allie needed to be in presence of someone she trusted in case of she had some side effects. So Tobin naturally took the initiative to invite her over. And Allie was glad to spend some time with her best friend. She knew Kelley talked to her about their "relationship" or whatever it was.

- Why don't you relax a little ? Tobin asked, her eyes focused on the road. I mean, I don't think Kels will hurt you or something.

- What do you mean ?

There was a little silence.

- Al, no offense, but you're such an idiot sometimes, Tobin sighed.

Of course Allie knew what she meant.

Kelley was just perfect. Every aspect of her seemed to please Allie, and the midfielder didn't know how she got so lucky. But when Kelley said the three words the day she woke up, she just couldn't tell her that back. Of course she had feelings for her, but she still needed to figure things out.

- I'll take that as a compliment, she answered.

Tobin rolled her eyes, annoyed.

- Seriously, she's crazy in love with you ! she insisted. Why don't you allow yourself to have a little rest ?

- I just need more t-, Allie began, but was cut off.

- Time, I know how it goes, Tobin said out of frustration. But dude, life is short.

Noticing that her friend wasn't saying anything, Tobin just looked at her. She then slapped herself in the inside ; why did she have to throw the raw meat on the floor all the time ? She stopped the car on the side, and faced her friend.

- Sorry, I didn't mean to-, she said, looking for the right words. Of course you know how short life is. I'm sorry.

- Let's just go home, okay ? Allie asked in a weak voice.

Tobin started the car. The way back was silent as fuck.