CHAPTER 39

"What are you doing, Your Highness?" I stuttered, my voice horse and trembling.

"Confirming." He replied.

"Confirming what?" I asked.

"That you are you, and that you have returned to me." he said, burying his nose in my neck and gently kissing my bare skin. "Have you ever been hurt?" he whispered against my flesh. Shivers ran through my body, rendering me speechless. I simply shook my head, unable to find the right words.

"Hmm." he hummed against me, the sound sending waves of pleasure through me.

"You know you're not a good liar," he whispered in my ear, his lips gently grazing my earlobe. I questioned myself, wondering what I was doing. His touch was making my body burn. I knew it was wrong, but the memories of his hands on my skin made my chest rise and my heart beat faster for him. He sucked on the soft spot behind my ear and a silent moan escaped my lips.

"I miss that sound." he whispered, his words igniting a fire within me. I told myself we should stop, but deep down, I didn't want him to stop. I craved his touch. Suddenly, I found myself lying on my back with him between my legs. Soft lips met mine and I eagerly parted them, allowing his hot tongue to explore. He sucked on my burning flesh, causing my vision to blur with pleasure.

Eventually, he pulled away from the kiss, and I whimpered, not wanting it to end. He gently pushed me back, withdrawing from me, and propped himself up on his elbows, looking down into my tear-filled eyes.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered, and I blinked away the moisture, torn between what was right and what I wanted. If I accepted his embrace, what would that make me? But if I gave in, I could finally have what I desired. Would that be so bad? I could live the rest of my life without wondering 'what if'.

"Should I continue, Cai?" he asked, his eyes burning with passion, all directed towards me. A single nod was all it took before he began to undress me.

In another part of the palace, the new empress was halted by the guard as she tried to enter garden palace. She was determined to see the emperor, even if it meant facing punishment. According to the servant girls, he hadn't returned to his chambers last night and hadn't visited any other concubines after meeting with a guest. Something felt off, and she couldn't ignore it.

"Let me through! I must see the emperor immediately." she insisted, pushing past the guard and sliding the door open. What she saw left her speechless. The emperor had a half-naked girl beneath him, showering her with kisses on her pale skin. But it was the look on his face that terrified her - a look of pure love and devotion. As she took a closer look at the girl, she realized there were no new concubines in the palace. So who was this? Her eyes widened when she saw his bare chest - it was the young boy who had caused a stir when he first arrived at the palace. She had thought he was out of her way for good.

"Get out!"

Mu Yang commanded when he noticed Li Ling standing there. Cai looked up at the woman with a growing belly and felt nothing but shame. Li Ling turned her shocked face towards the boy, and she couldn't deny his beauty. Rage and anger surged through her veins as she realized what he was to become, the royal concubine. Second in title, but first in Mu Yang's heart.

Mu Yang POV:

Mu Yang's lips met Cai's skin with fiery passion, the enticing sounds escaping Cai's mouth. However, their intimate moment was abruptly interrupted when Mu caught sight of Li Ling. Filled with anger, Mu shouted at her to leave. Cai remained motionless under Mu, knowing their time together had come to an end. Mu noticed the expression on Cai's face and realized it was one he never wanted to see again.

Cai pushed at Mu's chest, silently signaling that he wanted to get up. At first, Mu resisted, but eventually he relented and moved away from Cai's body. Mu watched as Cai composed himself and walked away, heading straight for the garden and closing the doors behind him, cutting off the image of his retreating figure. Sitting up without bothering to fix his clothes, Mu turned to his Empress and her servants.

"Leave us!" he commanded, his voice cold and authoritative. The girls nervously retreated, leaving Mu yang and Li Ling alone. Li Ling immediately dropped to her knees.

"What is the meaning of this, my emperor?" she asked, her voice trembling with anger beneath the surface.

"What you witnessed is exactly what it appeared to be. There is no need for me to explain. Or do you believe it is wise for an empress to defy the emperor when he pays attention to one of his concubines?"

"But... but that was a boy a man." she pointed out, keeping her head low.

"Yes, he is, it is not unheard of and I have no intention of denying that fact. He has been mine since the day he entered my empire." Mu Yang told her, observing the emotions flickering across her face.

"The selection of concubines has already begun. I had intended to bring this matter before the court. However, due to your rude interruption, you shall be the first to know."

Li Ling tried to speak again, but Mu raised his hand to silence her. Does she think for one moment that she has power over me? She needs to understand going forward.

"The garden palace belongs to him, and this will be my final warning to you and anyone who sets foot on these grounds without my permission. Do not violate this order again, or you will be punished, Do I make myself clear, Empress Li Ling?"

"Yes, your majesty," she replied.

"Now, you may leave and not utter a word until I attend court later." Mu rose and made his way to the garden bath, sliding open the door and stepping into the cold, searching for Cai.