Chapter 1

"But you were leader last time, Snowkit!"  Complained Hailkit as Snowkit clambered up the large stone.  "I would enjoy a turn."  I added, though trying not to be a pain in the whiskers.  Snowkit snorted.  "Sure Hailkit.  You can be leader.  But Shatteredkit is a no.  He's puny and I think his name should be Stupidkit."
    I wasn't upset by this, believe it or not.  I had been made fun of by Snowkit since I was born, and so far Stupidkit isn't so bad.  I've been almost buried alive when Snowkit tricked me into digging in the ground, then knocking down snow on top of my head, so Stupidkit is like getting a little scratch.
    It still hurt, though.  I flinched when Snowkit laughed at his own little joke and marched back to the warm nursery, pushing me aside as he walked past.  Hailkit gave me a very sympathetic look and followed.  "I'll talk to him."  He whispered as he padded past.  I looked wistfully at the warriors den and saw a shadow pass over the great cliff, and turned my head to look as everyone ran back to their den.
I looked up.
It was a hawk.  Twenty times bigger than I was.  It turned and swooped, it's stone sharp talons reaching for me.  Rooted to the spot, it grabbed me by the back and lifted me up in the air, away from camp.
    "Shatteredkit!"  My mother, Cloudwhisker gasped.  She leaped, catching the hawk's tail feathers. 
It squaked indignantly and let me go, dropping me.  I screeched as I plummeted down, wind whistling in my ears.  I crashed down on the grass,  the world around me blurring quickly.   I gave way to darkness, and felt my scruff being held closely, as well as Snowkit's snorting laughter and I heard him say,
"Good thing he's gone.  He was annoying.  We won't miss him."

*             *        *

    I woke up coughing.  Cats were surrounding me.  "I-is this...  Starclan?"  I asked groggily, the others turning to look at me.
"Thank goodness!"  A voice said, her voice still shaking from what sounded like hours of crying.  "M-mother?"  I gasped.  "You're in Starclan too?"  She purred.  "No, precious."  She licked my ears and stopped.  "Featherspirit?"  She called.  "Yes?"  The pretty she-cat answered.  "He's bleeding again."  "It's okay."  I insisted, ducking away from another lick of Cloudwhisker.  "Don't move!"  She snapped.
    What did I do?  I blinked at my mother.  Her gaze softened and she licked a tuft of silvery fur from my shoulder.  "Sorry, darling.  I just don't want you to get hurt anymore then you are."  She meowed.  "Can I see Hailkit?  And Snowkit?"  I asked.  "Sure, Shatteredkit."  Said a new voice that I recognized as my father's, Mistytail. 
    Mistytail is the deputy, so he rarely has time to see us.  I brightened when I saw him, his eyes full of love.  "Father!"  I purred, almost choking I was so happy.  He rubbed his cheek gently along my side.  Featherspirit's head popped into the medicine den.  "So, the sleepy kitty has awoken."   She purred.  She grabbed a few leaves and chewed them, licking them into my wound.  I winced but didn't pull away.  The pain from my legs quickly became unbearable.  I groaned, my face twisting in pain as I felt the herbs sinking into my wounds, stinging my skin and fur.  "Are you alright, Shatteredkit?"  Mistytail said, his eyes filled with concern.  "M-my legs,"  I managed to stammer.  "They really h-hurt." 
"Oh, my poor darling."  My mother whispered and swiped her tail gently along my spine.  I heard pawsteps and saw Hailkit and Snowkit padding into the den, one of which's face filled with concern, and the other of disgust.  "What did I ever do to you?"  I blurted.  "I've been kind, i've tried to be friends with you, and you just shut me out, like I'm something scraped from the bottom of the river."
"It's not what you think."  Hailkit said, gritting his teeth.  What do you know?  I thought grumpily.  I watched as Hailkit whispered something to Snowkit.  Snowkit snorted, batting Hailkit lightly.  "Tell him."  Hailkit snarled at his brother.  I was startled.  I had never heard Hailkit be so...  Mean.  "Why don't you?"   Snowkit sneered.  "He deserves the truth from the one who truly did something bad."  Hailkit retorted.
Snowkit sighed.  "Leave us please mother."  He whispered, for the first time sounding nervous.
"Look.  I hate you because of your past.  Me and Hailkit are...  Rouges," Snowkit muttered As soon as the cats cleared out.  "Cloudwhisker took us in, then kitted you.  You almost killed her.  I don't know the details, but long story short, you almost killed the only cat who accepted me into the clan."  Snowkit finished.  "And..."  Hailkit stammered.  "You were asleep.  Along time.  We're..." 
"Apprentices."  Snowkit finished for him.