Chapter 1 (edited)

Start from the beginning

"Things aren't definite yet..." I answer uncomfortably as all eyes are on me. There goes my plan of inviting people I actually like.

"Well don't forget to invite us" Katie smiles at me and turns around but not before giving me an icy glare. If looks could kill I would definitely be dead by now.

The bell rings and everyone in the cafeteria heads out to their classes. I stand up and walk off not even bothering to wait for Phoenix.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, your inviting all of Phoenix's friend to your party?" Claire asks at our lockers at the end of the day, emphasising on the your.

"Well, yeah I have to now since Phoenix told them" I reply clearly annoyed.

"Why? You don't have too" Trinity says leaning against her locker.

"I do now" I reply as I angrily grab my country road bag from my locker.

"Anyways see you guys tomorrow" I wave as I walk towards the school car park. I see Phoenix leaning against his 2012 Audi Q5 with his shades on. I would never admit this to him but he looks absolutely hot like that. I just wanna... I shake my head, erasing the thoughts. Stop thinking about him like that May! He'll never like you the same way.

He sees me and smiles his Grammy award winning smile. I feel like melting inside. I can hear whisperings and murmurings from girls as I walk pass them, such as 'He's so hot' and "I wonder what he's like in bed". The last comment makes me shudder since I do not want to imagine my best friend in bed with someone else, I mean that's just gross!

"Hey May" Phoenix says wrapping his arms around my waist "You didn't wait for me after lunch". I roll my eyes at his immature behaviour as I hop into the passenger seat.

"Just drive Nix" I say to Phoenix as he sits in the drivers seat. "Sure thing Nah" He grins goofily as he starts the engine.

When we were younger we decided to nickname each other the last three letters of our name and ever since then it just stuck.

"By the way, your helping me pick a hall for my birthday" I say quickly as we park in Phoenix's driveway.

"What!? What did I do?" Phoenix exclaims putting his hands up in the air.

"You invited your friends so now I have to book a bigger hall" I say as I slam the door shut.

"Hey their your friends too!" Phoenix points out, opening the front door.

"Oh yeah, if you count people who glare at you all the time as your friends, I would be so popular right now" I say sarcastically.

"That's not true May" Phoenix says disappointedly as he walks up the stairs to his room "Nate doesn't glare at you".

"It is Phoenix, and I didn't mean Nate, I meant Katie and Pauline and the other cheerleaders, they're all nice to your face but behind your back they're pretty nasty and I just want to enjoy my senior year, okay? Especially my eighteenth birthday! Don't you remember what they did to me on my sixteenth?" I ask exasperated as I follow him.

On my sixteenth birthday, I had my party at Phoenix's house because he and Brooke insisted that I have my party here since my house was too small to cater a few hundred people. I was walking down the stairs as the birthday girl when suddenly Katie and Pauline threw water or juice onto my dress and onto the stairs, making me trip and fall halfway down the stairs, resulting me with a broken leg and on crutches for 6 and a half weeks. It was the most terrible birthday ever.

"That was an accident May" Phoenix sighs.

"Oh really? Would you just suddenly throw water onto the stairs while a person is walking down it? Because I know I definitely wouldn't" I argue. Why does Phoenix always have to stick up for his friends?

"Ok so maybe they did it deliberately, but the past's the past and you can't change anything so forget about it ok? They've changed and I'll warn them not to do anything wreckless or I won't go to the annual sport party ok?" Phoenix says wrapping his arms around me in a hug.

"I hate arguing with you" he mumbles into my hair.

I gulp at his closeness. After 10 years I still haven't gotten used to his hugs, they just seem to be getting worse. Every time he is close to me or hugs me real tight, butterflies erupt in my tummy wanting to be free.

He lets go smiling down at me. "I'll help you with the party details ok?" I nod my head agreeing with him.

2 hours later we finally booked a hall so big, you could probably fit half the school in there.

"I have to go now, mum will be wondering where I am" I hug Phoenix goodbye, ignoring the butterflies in my stomach.

I walk down the stairs and see Phoenix's little 7 year old brother and 6 year old sister watching tv.

"Hey Jax, hey Beth" I say as I walk past the living room.

"May! Are you leaving?" Beth asks putting her puppy dog face on.

"Yeah, I'll hang out with you tomorrow okay?"

"Okay" Beth says turning her attention back to the tv.

"See you tomorrow Nah" Phoenix says winking at me.

"See you tomorrow Nix"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day went by really fast and everyone was excited about my party. Well I could say everyone but that would be lying because I'm pretty sure the cheerleaders couldn't care less.

Hopefully Katie and her apprentice Pauline don't mess up everything again. I guess I just have to wait until the day comes.