Chapter 16~Amends?

Comincia dall'inizio

"No! Peace!" I yell and walk out the door.

I started walking down the hall and entered the guidance counselor's office.

"Hey Ms. Hyland," I say and close the door.

"Hello Melody," Ms. Hyland says. "What can I help you with?"

"Justin is my biology partner," I sigh and sit down.

"I see. So, how do you feel about it?" she asks.

What kind of question is that? She knows how I feel about that asshole!

"Well I'm pissed because I don't like him," I say.

"But you did once upon a time," she reasons.

"Yes but he was acting," I explain.

"Why don't you make amends?" Ms. Hyland says.

"Because they will only hurt me again,"

"So it's not only because of Justin?"

"Why are you speaking to me like that? I don't like them, they don't like me!"

Ms. Hyland leans in and I do to.

"Tell me one thing Ms. Peers, have they tried reaching out to you?" she asks.

I was silent. Well in a way yes they were.

"Yes," I say.

"Have you been doing the same?" she asks.

Fuck no.

"No," I murmur.

"Then how do you know?" she asks.

I sigh.

"I don't know. But I've tried to be friends with them before!" I say.

"They could have changed!" Ms. Hyland says in a calm voice.

"They don't change!" I defend.

"How do you know?" she asks.

"Because once upon a time I thought they did, and guess what? They didn't," I say.

"Melody, I think you should give them a second chance," she says.

"Huh you mean a third chance," I say.

"Whatever it may be. Give them another chance, and see what comes out of it," she says.

"So you're telling me you want me to give the people who put one of my best friend's in the hospital, humiliated me twice, and made my brother turn on me, another chance?" I ask.

"Yes," she says.

Then I did something unreal. Okay, maybe not unreal, but you get the point.

I laughed.

"As if!" I laugh.

"Melody, you will," Ms. Hyland says.

"And if I don't?" I ask.

"Then you will be forced to be partners with them in each class," she smirks.

No way. No way is this happening. It's the middle of the year which means project are coming in like an avalanche.

"Fine. I'll make an effort," I say in defeat.

"Great," Ms. Hyland says.

The bell rings and I head off to my next class.

I get to PE and I change in the change room. We played a game of dodgeball, then we ran a mile. I was done for the rest of the day. Tristan drove me home because my car has been taken away since I'm not in the "right state of mind." Whatever that means.

When I got home I immediately called the hospital. The doctor said there were no changes. So I thanked him and sat at my bay window. My eyes diverted to Justin's room and I saw him staring at me. We made eye contact and we stayed like that for a while until he looked away. I did the same and he opened his window. He looked at me again and I got the indication that he wanted me to do the same. And so I did.

"Melody, I'm really sorry," he says.

I look away from him and stare at my fingernails.

"Yeah I know," I say softly.

"Can we please talk?" he pleads.

I stand up and crawl out of my window. Justin steps to the side and I jump into his room through his window.

"Fine, let's talk," I say.

And that's when he started.