Prologue.

Roxas was set on getting out of work around eleven thirty, so he'd have time to wipe the tables down and do some dishes and bail by midnight. What a laughable wish that was, as midnight was quick to strike and he was still stuck in the shop where he'd only now start cleaning up.

Making his way to the front of the shop, he'd flipped the open sign to closed and began wiping the tables down from the front of the shop to the back. Passing the front counter he'd taken a detour to hang his apron up on a hanger.

He was nearly done, all that was left was one last table and one last cup; that came after kicking out a particular customer that didn't seem to understand the idea of closing time.

The man was propping his chin up with his left hand whilst he stirred his coffee with his left. He wasn't touching his coffee, and by the looks of it he hadn't touched it since he'd had it brought to him. Roxas rolled his eyes and tapped on his shoulder, making a soft 'ahem' sound when clearing his throat.

"If you want, I can put that in a takeout cup for you." The man's head slightly turned his way, but not enough for the two of them to make eye contact. He took the stirring stick out of his coffee and tapped it against the edge of the cup a few times. "I can reheat it in the microwave for a few minutes, if it's too cold for you, but you gotta go." 

Roxas tried pushing him out the door as fast as he could, but the man just looked away from him and shrugged. Roxas' face began to heat up due to his anger. 

The man sitting in the coffee shop had fiery red hair that spiked up in nearly every direction, and he was sitting with a bit of a hunch. This puzzled Roxas, but he tried not to think about it too hard. "Thanks, but I'm fine the way I am." He mumbled quietly, almost as if he was mumbling to himself. The waiter was becoming frustrated with this man and tapped on his shoulder again. 

He didn't budge this time, but that wasn't going to stop Roxas. "You might be fine as you are sitting here, but I'm not, okay?"

Roxas stuffed his hands into his work pants pockets and crinkled his nose. He never noticed that he did it, but it was quite the habit of his to do when he was angry. His best friend, Xion, would point it out to him and tease him about how cute it was, but he always shrugged it off. He hated it.

"I can't leave this coffee scented dump until you get your ass off the seat and out the door." His right foot began to tap against the floor at a rapid pace, which was another thing that he did out of a force of habit as well. He didn't seem to notice it, at least. "Do you understand?"

The man that was seated at the last dirty table in the shop let out a chuckle, which made Roxas even angrier than he had managed to make him originally. "You're pretty cute." He uttered, as he put the stirring stick he'd been holding into his mouth. Roxas' face had become as red as this mans hair; it was a mixture of anger and embarrassment at this point. 

Roxas reached in front of him and grabbed the mug of coffee that was resting on the table. He had it in his right hand and pointed to the door with his left. "Out." He was grinding his teeth when he spoke, and the man didn't budge from his seat. He sat there pretending he hadn't heard him.

"Uh huh," this guys voice was quiet and kind of slow, almost as if he sounded tired. It was a charming sound in it's own way, which Roxas absolutely hated. He absolutely hated him. "Can I have my drink back now?" How much nerve did this guy have?

For the first time he fully turned around in his seat, and Roxas got a good look at his face. He had bright green eyes, almost the colour of emeralds. He also had two tattoos, they were under his eyes and they were upside-down, slim triangles. 

What a stupid place for tattoos - and what stupid tattoos. Roxas tried to ignore it. The man had high cheekbones and a slender face.

They made eye contact and Roxas became extremely flustered. This man was smiling at him suddenly and he couldn't figure out why he was. Is he making fun of me? Is my face that red? The possibilities were driving Roxas absolutely nuts. 

He was nervous waiting for this man to speak, and he couldn't tell what it was that made him feel so on edge about this guy. "You know, you have really pretty eyes." The man mumbled. 

Roxas was suddenly in a panic, and his first reaction was to take the coffee cup in his hand and toss the liquid onto the customer. As soon as the coffee was in the air, Roxas stumbled backwards in shock.

What did he just do? What the fuck kind of reflex was that? He was thankful that the coffee could barely be considered warm; but again, what the fuck. Roxas' head was a mess and all he could do was point to the door again, shooing this man out of his seat. 

"If you don't get out of the store this instant I'll be calling the police. This is your last warning." The man let a sigh out from between his pale and thin lips. He stood up. When he was out of his chair and on his feet he towered over Roxas, which made him not only more flustered, but afraid, too. 

The man followed his orders, which put him slightly more at ease. It was almost one in the morning by the time Roxas managed to make it out of work. What a shitty work shift.