Episode 1- Enemies in the Dark

Going camping is the perfect reminder of how great life is when you're not camping ~ A Someecard 

Jaylyn watched the fire flicker in the ring of stones containing it with little interest. After staying with Valdis for nearly three months in a new house in a small town outside New York, their new ally had decided to find some time for 'family bonding'. So, as a result all the immortals had taken off work, or in Henry and Jo's case found a lucky break in murder cases, and had driven to the county to camp in a forest for a week... fun. 

"Care to help carry something?" Adam questioned as he sat down beside her. 

She glanced at him. "I helped set up the tent and start a fire if you didn't notice." 

Henry stopped by them and stared at Adam, or rather glared at him, before staring at the sky. "It seems the weather was wrong... no rain tonight." 

"And we're already talking about the weather." Jaylyn sighed and jumped to her feet. "Well, at least I brought something to entertain us with... once it gets dark." 

Valdis gave her a look. "Which would be?"

Jaylyn grinned, though it felt strange to after so long... the thought made it fade slightly. "It's a surprise." 

"Is there a reason we had to come out here and the others got to stay indoors?" Adam questioned as he swatted away an insect from his face. 

"What's a better way to bond than being stuck together outdoors?" Valdis smirked and sat on a rock nearby. "It's what my brother and I used to do... well... before he became crazy. It's why I stayed with him to keep his actions under control, I couldn't give up on him." 

"What about now?" Henry asked as he settled down by the fire.

"He went too far." Valdis growled. "Even I can't keep trying to save him, he's beyond saving. But you three aren't, all of you have been through so much yet most of you haven't become cold blooded killers yet... though your trust in one another and in me could do with some work, hence this location." 

Jaylyn saw Henry grimace slightly and shoot Adam a look. She wasn't sure what had happened in this forest but clearly that expression meant it had something to do with those two. "I'm starting to sense a lot of anxiety already." 

"More like hostility." Adam gave the medical examiner a look. "Don't you trust me Doctor Morgan?" 

"You might help from time to time but this is where you killed my wife... of course I don't trust you." Henry's voice held pain as his eyes took in the forest around them. 

"Exactly why I picked this place." Valdis spoke up. "To gain each others trust it would be best to try finding it when faced in a place where the past may haunt you." 

Jaylyn rolled her eyes and gave a light cough, pain spreading through her for a moment before fading. "Because that's not going to cause more conflict." 

"Trust me, all those two have to do is settle their past." Valdis insisted.

"Why am I here then?" 

"To help me keep them under control." 

Jaylyn glanced up at the sunset sky, it was almost completely dark out now. "I don't 'control' I create chaos. Ready to play a game everyone?"

"What kind of game?" Henry gave her a cautious look. 

"Prey and predator." A dangerous expression came across her gaze as she smirked. 

~~~~~

Henry took the weapon from Jaylyn with a distasteful expression, though it was Valdis who spoke. "I really don't think this is the best way to help them get along."