Never Fear, Ally is Here

I watch as she stares hard at the table, a blank expression taking over her usual curious gaze. Any bit of happiness in her was sucked away only a few hours ago. After a long drag of silence, I clear my throat put my hand on hers.

         "Miss Boebi, I understand this is difficult for you. I wish I had gotten a better look at him-"

          "But you didn't. You scared him off instead, isn't that enough Detective?" Bitterly cutting me off, she drops her head into her hands. I let out a heavy sigh and look her over. Clothing tattered, bruises beginning to form around her wrists and the nape of her neck. This is not something I am used to seeing. Well, actually, I see people like this all the time. It's what she looks like that is throwing me. I'm sure she doesn't even recognize me. We went to the same high school together... she never paid any attention to me but, I used to have such a crush on her. I could never muster up any courage to talk to her though. She was so confident, never afraid of who she was. Sometimes I would leave her notes in her locker, but I never said who I was.
          "Miss, we- I need to catch this slimeball. You deserve justice. Now, please, do you recall anything?" She picks her head up from her hands and looks me dead in the eye.

          "He was tall, with brown, shaggy, hair... His eyes... cold, unforgiving, green eyes." I peer up at her as I write and notice that she is beginning to tear up. Without hesitation, I drop my pen rush to her side.

         "Hey, hey, hey. Miss Boebi, please don't-" She glares at me and cuts me off, yet again.

          "Get the fuck away from me!" She jumps out of her seat and retreats to the far corner of the room.
         " You don't need to put on an act like you care. See what will happen is, your chief will send me home after you 'get all the information you need' and I will be alone to fend for myself against this asshole. No one cares, no one actually wants to help. It is all just a big lie. All you people care about is getting your damn check at the end of the day." She begins to cry uncontrollably, her hands covering her face like a shield. I take a few steps closer to her, regaining her attention. Her facial expression warns me to not get any closer to her. I stop where I am and look her over again.
            "That is where you are wrong. I know you, Miss Boebi. Whether you realize it or not. I do care about you, really. I made sure that I was put on this case because I wanna see you get some justice. What happened to you is not okay, and I don't want to see you walk away from this place feeling like you can't trust people like us. Yeah, my chief has a say, but not now he doesn't. Because I am primarily a private agent, I have a little more say in what happens around here. I will do anything to make sure you are safe. Whatever you want, you name it and I will make it happen." I realize she is no longer in the corner of the room. She has slowly made her way back towards me. She hesitantly approaches me and looks me up and down — her eyes searching for something. I see a flash of confidence shimmer her her dark browm eyes as she regains her composure.

            "Okay then, I want you to post yourself at my house. And you aren't allowed to leave until he's behind bars." She walks around me and sits down at the table.
             "Are we finished here, Ally?"