The Birthday (Danisnotonfire Fanfic)

En başından başla

When I walked back towards the kitchen, I heard a low murmur from the room. 

"Yeah, so you and her friends and PJ and Chris can meet us there at-"

"Ssh!" Phil  had obviously heard me approach. 

Dan whirled around as I entered the kitchen, embarrassment and accusation in his gaze. "You were listening?"

"I heard about Chris and PJ. Where are they meeting us?" 

"You have too much curiosity! Don't ask!" Phil replied, pulling me out of the kitchen and toward the living room, while I protested that Dan couldn't cook. Phil replied with, "Well, I'll get cereal."

Once I was safely installed in the living room, a duvet covering me and Game of Thrones on the TV, Phil left to get the cereal (and to talk to Dan some more), shutting the door firmly behind him.

I watched Game of Thrones happily, absorbed in the programme until Dan jolted me out of my thoughts. "You've only got a hour or so before we're out of here." He warned.

"To where?" I asked inquisitively. 

"Nu-uh! Not telling. Now budge up." Dan ordered and I obligingly moved further back into the sofa. Dan just about managed to fit in the space I made and then turned over to face me. I watched the TV and ate my Rice Krispies while he stared at my face. I desperately tried not to laugh. "What are you doing?" I giggled self-conciously, wondering if I was just a mess.

"Nothing!" Dan defended himself.

"You're staring at me!"

"No, I'm not." Dan turned to face the screen.

"You were.." I muttered teasingly.

We spent another ten minutes watching Game of  Thrones and trying to quote lines while laughing at the funny bits. 

After I'd got dressed, I was bundled out the door, again protesting that Rachel and Jennifer could turn up at any minute. Phil waved goodbye excitedly, slamming the door before we'd driven away. 

I wondered what was going on. Curiosity began to nag at me even more. 

"Dan.." I asked sweetly.

"What?" Dan replied warily.

"Where are we going?"

"I can't say."

"But it's my birthday..."

"That's the surprise."

"Daaannn....."

"What?"

"Where are we-"

"Ask that one more time, and-"

"Where are we going?"

Dan looked at me and sighed. I gave my best smile and went back to staring out the window.

We kept driving for a couple more minutes before we pulled up at a very familiar place. 

"Victoria Park!" I gasped, while Dan gave one of his little smiles. He got out the car without a word and went to open the boot of the taxi.

I stared around happily, trying to keep the huge grin off my face. Victoria Park was one of my favourite places in London. I always used to come here to read on summer afternoons and I only came home after dark. I only remembered mentioning it to Dan once before. I smiled when I realised he must have been listening.

Eagerly opening the door and stepping out, I looked around fondly. Hurrying to the back of the taxi,  I watched as he took an old fashioned picnic hamper out of the back. It felt just like the movies. Taking my hand, he led me away from the crowds and towards some oaks on the edge of the main clearing. When we reached them, he spread a blanket underneath the trees and I collapsed onto it with a sigh. Dan started getting stuff out of the hamper behind me. He was just out of my line of sight so I couldn't tell what it was.