Chapter IV: Break-ins and Balls

ابدأ من البداية

He was about to finish what was left incomplete before.

***

The Lady Knight

"Is everything ready?"

Very much red in the face, I fought to keep up with the long strides of Lieutenant Raleigh next to me, as we hastened across the Castle gardens, towards Bordeux Dungeons, straight after dawn training that morning.

"Aye, Ma'am," Lieutenant Raleigh supplied, "Lord Lucien has been briefed on what to expect this morning, and will soon be brought to the interrogation chamber. The other Captains on our team have already assembled there, and are now waiting for our arrival."

"Good," I nodded in approval, "now - "

"Lady Knight!"

Startled, both Lieutenant Raleigh and I paused in our tracks, and turned around to find one of Her Majesty Queen Consort Eleanor's Ladies-in-waiting, Lady Cara, gliding rather slowly and gracefully towards us.

She made no effort to hurry even after seeing us waiting for her.

Almost at once, my irritation flared. I knew Ladies of the Society like her very well indeed, who read and practised the rules written in the Book of Social Etiquette as if it was the very Bible.

With accordance to such a holy text, proper Ladies did not run - they glided.

"Come, Lieutenant Raleigh," I beckoned him, "if Lady Cara truly has something urgent to relay to me, she would walk a little faster, and cease wasting my time. Interrogation begins in less than ten minutes." I raised my voice to make sure she had heard, before walking ahead.

Lieutenant Raleigh seemed undecided. "Ma'am - "

But it worked. Lady Cara picked up her skirts and quickened her steps towards me. She seemed as annoyed with me as I was with her, as she came to a gentle stop before me and bobbed a half-hearted curtsey in greeting.

"Lady Knight."

I inclined my head at her. "Lady Cara."

A scowl graced her face. "I was tasked to inform you that Her Majesty the Queen Consort wishes to speak with you, Ma'am," she rose from her curtsey, "and that she would like you to meet her at her boudoir now."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. I knew that the Queen would not have sent for me so early in the morning unless it was truly important. However, this particular moment was not the best of times -

Lady Cara grew more irritated in my silence. "I am sure that Her Majesty has something of great import to discuss with you if she is willing to make time for you in her busy schedule," she remarked frostily, "I suggest that you do not dally a moment longer, and accompany me to her boudoir this very instant."

She levelled me with a familiar haughty look that I was certain that all the Ladies of the Society had practised to perfection in front of their looking-glasses.

It had always made me feel very small, even as a child, and I hated it.

On instinct, I pinned her with a fiery glare - one that reduced her insolent expression to one of fear at once.

"You do not have the right to order me about thus, my Lady," I emphasised quietly, "your task was only to relay the message, and it has been done. You may leave my presence."

She flinched at the barely veiled censure in my voice.

Lieutenant Raleigh lay a hand on my arm. "Ma'am, please go ahead and meet Her Majesty. Her wishes take precedence," he suggested gently, "you can join the interrogation later. The rest of us will take care of it in the meanwhile."