Lie to me | Five

Lie to Me| Five

I had to change my routine in the mornings. Now, instead of working out indoors every morning except for basketball days, I had to brave the cold, fog laden football field. Why? Well, every morning the track coach seemed to arrive a little bit earlier and periodically watched me through the glass plated window in his office. Weird, I know. And it was defiantly unnerving to know that he was there to plot my acceptance onto the Track team. But, I still was singing the same song to him. One laden in ‘no’s.

     The only bad thing is that it is really cold outside on the football field. And I mean two pairs of sweats- which make me sweat like an eel- and a jacket. I hate being cold and sweaty. It’s a contradiction that should only be reserved for those commercials.

     It was Wednesday now; middle of the week, hump day, the day that teachers give out the most homework. Yesterday, I had successfully ignored Ian. I know that he said that he wanted to be my friend, but, how true could it be… other than it didn’t ring in my ears. He was only getting close to me because he didn’t know how much he had to lose. Soon, he’d hear all the gossip about me; how I’m a witch and that I know things. Once, I was even called a necromancer because I told someone that they were lying. I mean, really? Talking to ghost to get unimportant information? It was only a matter of time before the word traveled back to Ian. I just didn’t want to think that I could talk to him, maybe laugh with him, before he too called me a witch or something equally bad.

     I turned my head once again as I made it around the fields bend in the road and finally saw about ten students hanging around at the front stairs of our school. I took that as the time when I should finish up my run so I pushed myself as hard as I could for one lap. When I reached the end of my run, I let my legs carry on until I was stopped and I lay down on the ground, panting. I tried breathing through my nose as best as I could but that seemed too difficult in the crisp and thin air so I full out gasped a few time. When I sat up and looked around to gauge where I was on the field, I realized that I was not alone.

     I squeaked in surprise as I found someone watching me by the gates near the cafeterias building. I stood up nervously, wondering how long they had been there, and wobbled slightly when I got a bit woozy. The person pushed off of the gate slowly, leisurely. I took that as my queue to disappear and sped walked to my gear bag that was a few feet away from me. I picked it up, still walking towards the ladies lock room, and slung it over my shoulder. I cursed and stomped my foot when someone walked in front of the gates exit.

     “It’s almost like you were trying to escape without talking to me.” Ian said teasingly.

     “And what if I was?” I questioned truthfully as I stopped my quick pace to the locker room.

     Ian’s grin widened- actually widened. “Well, then,” he said thoughtfully, thinking of something. “I would be deeply offended.” Ian even gave a sniffle.

     I walked slowly up the stairs, at the farthest point around Ian. “Sorry for offending you.” I said curtly, hoping that he would let me pass and use the woman’s showers before the bell rang.

     But, no. he stopped in front of me. “You’re going to get overheated if you run with all that on.” he told me simply, like he cared.

     “Right,” I tried to go around him but he blocked my path. “I’ll take that into consideration for tomorrow.”

     “Oh,” he said slyly. “Then I’ll meet you here tomorrow.” This time, when I tried to go around him, ignoring his comment, he let me pass him. “It’s a date then. About seven thirty?” he called out to me as I tried to hasten my way away from him.