Chapter 15 - Caught between a rock & a hard place

Начните с самого начала

“How did you get off the planet?”

“I was transported, I think.” Again that confused look came over his face. “I can’t remember.”

“You can’t remember? You can’t fucking remember!” I was shouting now. “My sister might be dead or hurt and stranded on a pile of ash planet and you can’t remember!" I was freaking out. “You’re not telling me something. There are holes in your story.” I stepped closer to him. “I think you should give me the twins until all of this mess is sorted out.” He took a step back and I stalked him. “I said give them to me.”

“No. They don’t know you, and they’re my responsibility.”

I openly gaped at him. “They’re my family, my nephews. You are the stranger here.”

“Yet I was the one who was there when they were born and has been with them ever since.”

He did have a point, but I would never give him the satisfaction of knowing that. In a move so fast Chad would have been proud, I carefully but effectively managed to take one of them from him. I knew it would have been difficult for him to react without letting go of the other one.

The next few seconds were like a nightmare. It all happened so fast. One minute I had one of the boys in my arms, the next, they were floating and a huge white tiger stood in the space that Kai had been. I don’t know if it was the shock of seeing two newborns floating mid air, or the huge tiger that stood before me, but I felt real light-headed.

A roar rumbled up from deep within its throat and I cautiously took a step back. It roared once again and I saw the minute it decided to lunge. I screamed, and then there was only darkness.

Chad

I wanted to go back there and strangle that boy with my bare hands. Alexis was mine. This jealousy I was feeling was eating me alive inside. I wanted to lock her up so that I was the only one with access to her.

How dare he? How dare he come into my home and disrespect me and this kingdom?

As much as I wanted to be upset with Alexis I knew I couldn’t. She had a life before me and I would just have to accept that. It doesn’t mean I have to like it though.

I wasn’t sure how long I had been walking with no clear destination in mind, but I came up on one of the guest bedrooms. The door was ajar and I could see my father standing over a bed. I walked in, curious as to what he was staring at.

“Father?”

He turned in my direction and I got a glimpse of Adrian’s still body.

“Is he okay?”

“We don’t know yet. He’s breathing, for how much longer I don’t know.”

“I just don’t understand it. He was fine one minute and then the next he wasn’t.”

“Lexie and Zaphaya have been trying to treat the wound, but no luck so far. Alexis couldn’t heal him.”

“What do you mean she couldn’t heal him?”

“It just didn’t work. Lexie should be back any minute. Someone has to watch him at all times.”

I nodded, and he left without another word.

A lot of things weren’t making sense to me. I drew a chair and sat down beside my brother and best friend. He was the one person who knew all my secrets, and was there through some of my darkest times. He let out a groan and was silent again.

Seeing Adrian like this was like a wake-up call to me. In this supernatural world that we live in, anything can happen to any one of us or to any of our loved ones. That was all I needed to realize that it doesn’t matter who that boy was or what he was to Alexis. What matters is that she is mine now and nobody is going to take her away from me.