The Secret Admirer

Beginne am Anfang

"I See You.

-Sincerely, Guess Who"

Susan peered around the crowded office, puzzle etching her face.

"Did anyone see who left this candy on my desk?" She asked to disinterested faces and muffled, unconcerned "No's".

"Are they the little peanut filled kind?" Asked Cathy, her best friend and co-worker.

"I don't know, I haven't eaten any." Susan stared down at the ominous heart one more time before she grabbed her cell phone and began anxiously dialing the number she knew by heart.

"How about sharing?" Cathy asked, her mouth practically watering.

"Yeah, sure." Susan called back absently, as she walked toward the solitude of the supply closet, listening intently to the ringing in her ear.

"Hey." Hearing Ethan's voice, though, he was miles away gave Susan a comforting reassurance.

"Hey, Hon...I've got to ask you a question and I want a straight answer, no jokes."

"Okay. Sounds serious, are you okay?"

"Oh, I'm fine, it's just...did you send candy to my office today?" She turned further into the wall when she saw someone coming down the hall. He stepped into the closet, trying his best to listen in on Susan and her nervous phone call.

"No, why?" She could almost see the curve of his face, eyes bright with question.

"Well I got this heart shaped box of chocolate-"

"Oh. More presents from the mystery man." He chuckled.

"You sound amused." The man came out of the closet, arms full of three-ringed binders. He gave a glum nod as he passed. She didn't recognize him, must have been from one of the other floors.

"I am amused. Amused that someone out there has the guts to sends tokens of affection to my wife, and equally amused that she finds it so suspicious."

"So you don't think I should be worried?" Ethan was the kind of man whose hunches were always right, a trait that worked well in business. If he wasn't worried, then she trusted his instincts.

"Nah. Probably just some foolhardy kid with a crush. He'll send a few gifts, then after a while ask you out in person. Once you tell him you're married, he'll ease up. Don't stress about it too much." The line was quiet for a while, and then she heard him clear his throat. "Look, my boss is walking this way. I've got a meeting in five. Can we talk about this over dinner tonight?"

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you too." She shut her eyes tightly and listened for the line to go dead. Maybe she was being silly. Receiving little trinkets of affection was nothing to lose her mind over. Ethan was probably right. This thought comforted her as she walked ruefully back to her small lonely cubicle.

Working her tired body into the driver's seat of her car, Susan leaned back to allow for the peace and quiet to ease its way into her body. She'd been feeling her age lately, a humbling admission. At thirty-seven she was still a bit on the fit side, but noticeably heavier than she'd been ten years ago. The aches of encroaching middle-adulthood were starting to set in, but she put it out of her mind and moved to insert her keys into the ignition. With her foot on the brake and a weary sigh for the coming drive home she started to slowly back out of the tight parking space.

That was when she saw it. She hadn't noticed it before partly because she had been so tired, and partly because it was hidden in a mess of knotted thread and chain. There hanging from the rearview mirror among the collection of useless charms and ornaments, was the gold chain of a pendant.