“So Louis,” Harry said a little bit later. He was on his back, hands folded across his chest and eyes glued on the ceiling. “I’ve been talking an awful lot about myself, and yet I still don’t know who you are. I want to know you better.”

“Well there’s not much to know, if I’m honest,” Louis shrugged. “I’m Louis Tomlinson.”

“I know that,” Harry said, rolling his eyes. “I asked you practically the same question the other day, and you said the same thing. Obviously you’re more than Louis Tomlinson.”

“But Harry,” Louis said quietly. “I don’t understand why you’d want to know who I am—I’m not a fascinating or interesting person. I’m Louis Tomlinson.”

“And that’s why I’m interested,” Harry said like this was the most obvious fact in the world. “Do you think I’d spend the last three days here with you if I didn’t care about you?”

“Well—no,” Louis stuttered, a little bemused by Harry’s persistence. “But that—“

“Everyone has a story,” Harry cut him off. “And I want to hear yours.”

“Do you recycle your sayings, because you’ve already used that,” Louis said flatly. “You’re unoriginal.”

“And you’re stubborn,” Harry answered. “I’m not asking you for anything you’re not comfortable with… I just want to know you better. And if the only thing you can tell me is your favourite book then shit, at least I know.”

“Well, if you really want to know that badly…” Louis exhaled, closing his eyes and searching for something interesting to say about himself. “Let’s see… Um… I love football a lot, people said I had a future in it but I quit… because of reasons I’d rather not discuss. But I gave it up and I regret it every day.”

“That’s hot,” Harry nodded, which made Louis blush. “Footballers are my favourite.”

“Um… I hated school when I was in it,” Louis continued, trying to play off his embarrassment. “Teachers and I didn’t agree, to be honest. I spend more time in detention than in the classrooms because I was an obnoxious little shit. I never passed a class with a grade higher than a C, and even though I tell my mum I’m going to university, I’m not planning on it anytime soon because education sucks.”

“That’s one way to put it,” Harry laughed, his smile lighting up his usually dull face. He looked so happy, so young, so carefree in that one moment that Louis never wanted to see it fade. Harry—in his mind—was probably the most underappreciated person he’d ever met. Sure, he could be rough and a little blunt at times but he had beautiful moments like these that made Louis want to rewind them over and over.

“You have a nice laugh,” Louis said suddenly. He immediately wanted to take it back—since when was he a sappy shit?—and crawl away. He let his mouth get away from him.

“Do I, Louis?” Harry asked, tilting his head and inspecting Louis like he’d never seen him before. There was a ghost of a smile on his lips, and that glint in his eye hadn’t completely faded.