Chapter 3

The car ride to grandma's was quite... unique. She opened up the windows all over, and blared some Bach.  Her turns were rough, and by the end I was quite a bit nauseous. She pulled up in rock star parking by her apartment. I got right out of the car and almost vomited.

         Grandma had already grabbed my school bag when she croaked, "Come on!" I grabbed my clothes bag and followed. They really had a nifty system at the retirement community.  She had a swipe card to get in, but it led straight to her apartment. There was a Living room, kitchen/dining room, 1 bathroom, a bedroom, and an office. I slept in the office, where there already was a cot set up. Since it was an office, I got the luxury of a computer and plenty of books. There was also a nightstand with 4 drawers. Underclothes and socks in the top, jackets and pajamas next, then shirts, and finally there were shorts and pants. On top, a lamp was perched with outlets. The thing I missed was the phone charger. Thank goodness it was at 100%. I wouldn't use it if it wasn't necessary. 

          Before I know it, Grandma is calling me for dinner. We go out through the hallway to the dining hall. It's cluttered with old people, smells like old people, and tastes delicious. I order the 'Special', Grilled Chicken with roasted kale. It would've been good, aside from the fact that I was pondering over mom's death and dad's disappearance. The only good theory I could think of is that mom was murdered, and dad ran away, thinking that the killer would come after him next. A less likely one is that dad went home for lunch and accidentally poisoned mom and was scared that he would be arrested, and therefore ran away.  I was pondering that theory when the waiter came for dessert. I got a strawberry shortcake, out of habit, and she got a rhubarb compote.

           When we got back to the apartment, it was late, and I was tired. Climbing out windows and moving in with my grandma made for a long day. But I wasn't going to bed without looking at the phone.  I pull it up and swipe. It asks for the pass-code. I don't have it. Figures. I click the phone shut and flip the light out. If only I can get to sleep.

          It's kinda weird how I don't miss mom. I mean, she fed me. But it was dad who clothed me and cared for me, so I find myself missing him the more I miss her. If only I can find him. Tomorrow, since I'm not going to school (#fear the publicity), I could go to his work building and try to find out where he went for lunch.

        In bed, I get a light bulb. Either the killer killed dad and took him with him, or he just (end of sample)

Dead Mother's Last Wordsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें