23: Unforeseen knock on the door

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes the silence guides a mind to move to a place so far away

~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Main Character-

Jake's arm is a heavy weight on my stomach. He shifts it down when I turn to his side, his palm resting against my hip. I smell him all around me- misty and familiar and safe. I've been feeling him all around me lately, whenever we realise there's distance between us, one of us finds a way to close it.

A small groan escapes my mouth when I hear something ringing. I shrug it off, moving closer to Jake. We crashed on the couch last night after watching movies since none of the Meadows' whereabouts seemed to be anywhere interesting.

I hear a knock.

There's never a knock.

My eyes shot open. Jake's only response is tightening his arm around me. He's still sleeping soundly.

"Jake..." I drawl, bring my voice down to a whisper as I realise looking at his face that I didn't really want to wake him.

Slowly, I remove his arm and withdraw my body from him which requires more effort than expected.

I rush to the entrance door barefoot, making no sounds. Another knock echoes in the silent house and instinctively, my head turns towards Jake. Relief hitting me on seeing his eyes still closed. He must be really tired.

"Donfort, don't worry, it's me." A male voice comes from the other side. The person speaks with a conviction as if Jake is supposed to trust him.

My eyebrows draw together as I near the door. Jake has an effortless talent of pissing off people. Government officers and dark web hackers, all equally likely.

My heart thumps in my chest. I decide to look through the peephole before waking up Jake. As I reach the door, it is pushed open from the other end.

All air leaves my lungs at once. Two figures stand before me and I'm too late to see any of their faces as I shut my eyes and a pop sound booms in the dead silent house.

"Happy," the same male voice shouts with excitement which quickly dies, taken over by confusion, "Birthday?"

Confetti wafts in the air around me. My eyes reopen to see a man standing in front of me, a confetti popper in his hand which he used right in my face.

"Last time I checked Jake was still a man." The man says to the girl with short hair beside him.

"And the last I checked- which is right this moment- you were still an idiot." She snaps at him, taking away the used confetti popper and throwing it behind her and straight outside, it hits the pavement.

"What the fuck is going on?" Jake's angry and confused voice comes from the hallway. Before I can turn around, he's pulling me behind him with his hand circled around my wrist.

I see the man's eyes linger on Jake's hold on me for a moment before he looks up at Jake and smiles. "Happy birthday, lil hacker."

"I'm not little and I certainly did not invite you." Jake deadpans.

The girl glares at the man and says, "I told you it's not a good idea." She looks equally pissed as Jake.

"Who are you?" I finally ask, unable to form any conclusions.

The man looks proud to be addressed and points at his chest. "Julian. Jake's mentor. And you?"

Mentor?