[ 032 ] blessings.

HEARING DAMAGE
TEEN NOLA - CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO !

            "CAN I HAVE JUST a few minutes alone with her?" Nola stood completely still as though a statue

            "CAN I HAVE JUST a few minutes alone with her?" Nola stood completely still as though a statue. A shiver racked her body as the freezing cold air nipped harshly at her skin, turning the tip of her nose bright pink and causing her teeth to chatter. Her sudden question caused Natalie to glance up curiously at her. A small grimace formed on Nola's face as she explained. "I know you want to get going but it'll only be a few minutes, I promise."

            There was a brief moment when all that could be heard was the wind howling as it travelled through the snow topped trees. It was true that Natalie wanted to get Jackie's body to the plane as soon as possible. She knew it was necessary for them all, to get rid of the very evidence of the worst thing they had done. She contemplated, just for a second, on turning Nola away but she just couldn't once she caught the unmistakable sight of desperation in her friend's eyes.

            Pity took the form of a tight-lipped smile as Natalie rose from where she had been kneeling in the snow. "Take all the time you need." The blonde said while placing a comforting hand upon Nola's shoulder.

            "Thanks, Nat." Uttered the Rilke girl, gratitude dripping from her every word.

            As the Scatorccio girl trudged away towards the cabin to give her some privacy, Nola turned her shaking gaze down to the brown jacket that covered up the collection of bones. "I'm so sorry, Jackie. The way things ended...you didn't deserve that." She breathed out. Her voice sounded hoarse as she knelt down in the snow, ignoring how it melted and soaked her knees. "We were horrible to you, I was horrible to you. You had every right to be upset with us but I was just...so angry that I didn't see it. Not until it was too late."

            Flashes of the night that it all went wrong assaulted her mind. Her eyes began to sting as a wave of emotion hit her. "You were honestly one of a kind, Jack. I don't know how I'm gonna go on without you here. Don't get me wrong, you could be a serious pain in the ass but I loved you."

           She could remember all those times in the past that Jackie had annoyed her, from when she would take absolutely forever to get ready for school leaving Nola and Shauna waiting outside to when she would tickle Nola like crazy for that entire month back when they were thirteen leaving the Rilke girl utterly breathless that full month.

            Tears now leaked down her face, down her neck and seeped into the thick fabric of her varsity jacket. "I still love you. I doubt you share that opinion anymore and y'know, I can't say that I blame you." Nola was practically sobbing at this point. "It fucking sucks that I can't talk to you but maybe in some fucked up way it's a good thing. You got out."