/-/

Shirou was holding on by virtue of the augmentation his current sword granted him. Just as a human could not hope to swing a certain axe-sword at God-Speed from nine separate angles simultaneously, the Traced weapon bleeds characteristics of the original owner into Shirou.

Clang clang clang!

His sword's edge cut through balls of iron again and again with unfailing precision. Blood leaked from the webbing between his index and thumb, the sheer impact of each parry digging into his one good hand.

Nevertheless, his back did not crumble and bend, but remained steadfast and firm.

He would not fall. His confidence would not wane. The legend of his current sword would not allow it.

Arondight, the Unfading Light of the Lake.

It was the sword of Lancelot, the Peerless Knight of the Round. He who's skill and technique rivaled and even surpassed the sheer power of Gawain in close combat.

Here, right now, that sword had something to protect.

Meaning once more would be carried through conviction; not as a sword that slew its allies, but a reflection of the noble lake that shielded the masses from harm.

One swing, two, then three and four, Shirou had long since lost count. His body simply reacted to the will of his sword, and the weight of his ideals.

None would come to harm.

It was never wrong to save others. That's what it had always meant for him as an ally of justice.

He suddenly glanced behind him at the sound of crumbling debris and snapping wooden pillars.

A ginormous plush-toy like beast in the shape of a cartoon dog immediately scooped Seryu out of the rubble and into its arms. Seryu's legs were broken, but even now, she didn't seem to register the pain as she made eye-contact with Shirou.

Here, right before Seryu, was an opportunity that would never come again. She could tell. Shirou was occupied by diverting the gunfire with his sword. His back was open. He would not dodge even if he could. There were too many lives he was caring for behind him.

She could end it all here...kill him-

"Get them out of here."

Shirou focused back to the rain of bullets pelting him without another word, stunning Seryu right out of her thoughts.

He was trusting her? Not just that, rather than his own life, he was placing more weight on the lives of those who were far lesser than himself.

Evil should just be evil!

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?!

In this world, one was either on the side of the Empire, or evil. It was Seryu's strongest conviction.

But here and now, she was forced to acknowledge that the blood of the Empire truly ran in this man's veins. Evil was those working against the Empire, not those seeking to better it; let alone a member with a legitimate right to the throne.

Seryu suddenly began thinking.

A war of succession was different from a war of rebellion, especially when the former Emperor suddenly died and the child Emperor was given reign as the only substitute. There had not been an official inauguration as there had never been a need. Which meant to say...Didn't that mean that neither side was Evil? Her loyalty was to the Empire, but both sides were of the Empire.