Chapter Two: Parties and Presents

Zacznij od początku

"I don't need to remind you that I'm your only granddaughter," I said, pulling away from him. 

"I don't imagine it would make any difference." He replied. 

My grandfather was none other than world-famous magizoologist and author Newt Scamander. It was his love of magical creatures that inspired my father, as well as witches and wizards everywhere, to reconsider their stance on Magical Creatures and actually take the time to learn about them. He literally wrote the book on how we can respect them, while also using their unique abilities to our advantage.

You can imagine my sheer excitement when I discovered that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was an assigned textbook at Hogwarts. 

"I've got a special present for you," He said, "Two presents actually, but one is more in the form of a favor. We'll start with the present." 

He handed me a parcel wrapped in wite parchment and tied up with twine. I smiled, sitting down on the nearest picnic table bench and unlacing the twine, taking care to neatly unfold the parchment rather than tear it. 

"Oh, Grandad...its beautiful." I said sincerely.

It was a special edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. One that, as far as I know, was not available for purchase. This was a special edition made just for me, with a deep red cover and golden brackets on the corners. It also had a claw mark emblem on the front, with the same gold shining through the streaks.

"Its the original manuscript," He told me, "It contains my personal notes, and all of the additions that were left out of the final product. I had it organized and bound just for you."

I smiled, opening the cover to see an inscription on the inside cover, written in his messy handwriting. 

To my favorite Grandaugter,

Never forget who you are. 

"This is perfect, Grandad, thank you so much. I couldn't have asked for a better gift." I isaid, hugging the book to my chest. He smiled before shoving a hand into his coat pocket. 

"I glad you like it. I thought you would," He said, "And as for your second gift, well...he's been talking my ear off for months wondering when you would visit my personal collection again, and quite frankly, I don't think I can stomach anymore questioons." 

I gasped as he pulled a small, dark green bowtruckle out of his pocket, holding it in the palm of his hand. It was a creature I knew well, as in all my visits to my grandfather's personal sanctuary, he was by far my favorite. 

"Bay!' I exclaimed, holding out a hand, allowing the small, stem-like creature to climb into it. He wound his limbs around my finger, crushing my hand into a hug and squealing happily. "Oh, its so lovely to see you!" 

"I thought you  might keep him company for a while, give me a break," Grandfather said, "Over this next term at Hogwarts maybe?"

"I would love to," I said, hugging Bay to my chest, "But is that allowed?" 

"Professor Dumbledore is an old friend," He stated, "I've already spoken with him, and he has agreed to make an exception, as long as you don't let him roam the castle or go around picking any locks." 

"No, of course not." I said, knowing full well that I couldn't promise that. I was best friends with the two most notorious pranksters at Hogwarts. "Grandad, I swear, you're my hero, this is the best birthday ever." 

"Good," He said, "Enjoy your youth while you've got it, Senicka. You never know when the tides will change."

I smiled, nodding in agreement and glancing down at Bay who scurried up my arm and was making himself comfortable in the breast pocket of my jacket.