Chapter 4: Visiting Panchal

A/N: A few in-line comments would be very much appreciated. It keeps me going ahead.

Hastinapur and Panchal had always been in each other's bad books. The enmity had been ages old, and for reasons untold. And it only transpired to the generations with time.

Arjun wasn't someone to follow on the path of his ancestors blindly, no matter how much he respects them. But sometimes, he is so bound by duties and responsibilities towards his motherland that he has to forsake his own thoughts to keep everyone around him happy.

One such time is now, when he was being asked a suggestion to mend the rift between Hastinapur and Panchal, over an issue in which Arjun personally finds their kingdom is at fault.

Hastinapur Sabha had always been a drama of its own kind. Anything discussed here would be the result of an irresponsible action done by a member of the very Sabha.

The Chief Minister Vidur knew this already, but this was only proved with certification when they received a letter of threat from Panchal's King Satyajit stating that Panchal is breaking the political peace alliance between them due to Hastinapur blocking the through-route to Matsya used by Panchal traders, all thanks to the so-called next king Duryodhan and his reckless actions, and thus, cutting off the trading between Hastinapur and Panchal.

"Maharaj, since Panchal is holding Rajkumar Duryodhan responsible for this mishappening, don't you think things would end more simply if he just apologizes in person?"

Duryodhan stood up at the outrageous suggestion, only to be held back by the Gandharan King Shakuni, who whispered words of coaxing in his ears.

"Princes of Hastinapur are answerable to none from outside. I am sure there will be some better solution to reduce the political strain between the two kingdoms." Dhritarashtr said blankly, somehow not wanting his son to apologize.

Arjun could read through his words, Princes of Hastinapur here exclusively referred to the King's sons.

King Dhritarashtr didn't want any kind of bad spotlight on his sons, let alkne his eldest son. His decision of covering up for his son was obvious when he decided to send the Prince Arjun along with a few wise ministers to solve the issue with a direct conversation with Panchal Royals.

"The sabotaged trade relation poses a threat the stability of our kingdom, your Highness. We must act wisely. We need someone to approach Panchal from our side to negotiate peace. They would find it a blatant disrespect if we just send a messenger or minister. We can't afford to worsen the situation." Vidur stated, as a matter of fact.

The King seemed to process the words for a few minutes, seemingly thinking of who to send.

"Rajkumar Arjun, you are our most capable diplomat right now. I command you to visit Panchal and mend the rift."

Arjun was alarmed with the mention of his name, and nodded respectfully, internally wondering why he of all people was chosen for this task. He was sure any of his two younger brothers would do it just fine.

"But Maharaj, Rajkumar Arjun had played a crucial role in defeating Panchal in a previous war, they might hold animosities against him. I request you to reconsider the decision, your Highness." Yudhisthir requested.

"I find this the wisest decision right now. Besides, I've heard words here and there about how the royals of Panchal are quite impressed with Rajkumar Arjun. They might act more favorable with him. This might even be our chance to make an alliance with Panchal." King Dhritarashtr said.

At that moment, Arjun couldn't quite get the internal meaning of the term alliance.

..........................................................................................