15. stolen kisses and tears

The hospital room had boring surroundings. Nandhini sat beside Shubman, her fingers gently tracing patterns on the bedsheet as they talked after Virat and Ishan had left the room. The different machines had small beep sounds echoing through the room, an indication that it was working.

Shubman's who was seated on the bed, with Nandhini playfully teased, "You know, laughter is the best medicine. So, how about you tell me a joke?" Nandhini chuckled, her laughter filling the room. "You're impossible, Shubman." She playfully nudged his shoulder, causing him to lose balance on the bed. But before he could fall, Nandhini quickly caught him, pulling him back. "So sorry" she mumbled when it dawned upon her about how he was weak.

"Smooth, very smooth," Shubman teased, a hint of amusement in his eyes. Their playful moment was halted when Shreyas entered. He raised an eyebrow when he saw his sister and his junior sitting very close. "Yaar, yahan kya ho raha hai?" he asked, arms crossed.

Nandhini and Shubman exchanged glances before Nandhini chuckled. "Kuch nahi. Just joking around," she answered as he nodded. "Mhmm" he muttered before sitting on the chair next to Shubman's bed. After a brief conversation about recovery and doctor's instructions, he left the room, closing the door behind him.

The moment the door clicked shut, Shubman pulled Nandhini closer. He leaned in for a passionate kiss. Their lips met, a brief escape from the boring surroundings and beeping of machines in the hospital room. But suddenly, Shubman pulled away, panic written all over his face. "I shouldn't have done that," he muttered making Nandhini look at him confused. "Babe, what's wrong?"

Shubman started rambling. "I have dengue. I could have just infected you. You need to take some medicine, right now." He then grabbed some tablets from the table, before looking at her, tears welling up in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Nandhini. I never meant to put you at risk. Please, take this medicine. I can't bear the thought of you falling sick because of me."

A silence settled in the room and Nandhini's eyes softened. With a tender touch, she wiped away the tears that glistened on his cheeks. "Shubman," she spoke gently, "it's just a small kiss. I won't fall sick because of that. We'll get through this together. You need to focus on getting better, and I'll be right here with you every step of the way."

Feeling the weight of the moment, Shubman gently embraced Nandhini, his arms wrapping around her as he looked for comfort in the warmth of the hug. Nandhini responded, holding him with a tenderness that spoke of understanding and support. 

As Shubman held onto her, his tears finally spilled down his cheeks. Nandhini, her fingers softly running through his hair tried to calm him down. "I miss it, Nandhini," Shubman's voice cracked. "Being out on the field, the sound of the crowd, the thrill of the game. It's like a part of me is missing, and I don't know when I'll get it back."

Nandhini tightened her grip on him. She understood the ache in his words, the passion for the sport that defined so much of who he was. 

"It's okay, Shubman," she whispered. "You'll be back on the field soon. This is just a temporary setback. Focus on getting better, and before you know it, you'll be chasing boundaries and taking wickets again. And also, seeing that you're recovering fast, unlike normal people, you might get to play from the India- Pakistan match. Like look at that. The Prince will be back for the most important game," she smiled wiping away his tears.

Shubman nodded, a mix of gratitude and sadness in his eyes. He held onto her, finding comfort in her words. The 2 stood there with him resting his face in the crook of her neck, as she ran her fingers through his hair.