Chapter 7

Jessica and Paige woke up the next morning with plans to go into town with Sam to grab some last minute party supplies for tonight. Whilst there, Paige and Jessica were talking about what Jessica would wear. She hadn't brought any clothes for the party as it was a last minute invitation from Alex's mother the night before, so Paige said her younger sister, Grace would let her borrow something. "I mean you could borrow the white jumpsuit and then the black heels one of Sam's friends left at our house. Or the black dress with Grace's sandals." Paige offered as they walked back to the car. "I really like the white jumpsuit. But I don't have any makeup." Jessica said. "I have enough makeup for the both of us, don't worry girl."

Back at Paige's house, the two girls started getting ready, Jessica wearing the white jumpsuit from Grace, and Paige wearing a black dress. Paige sat doing Jessica's makeup, music blaring from her laptop. "I think we go for a gold smokey eye, I have a bag you can borrow." Paige said as she swept blush over her cheeks. Jessica nodded silently, allowing Paige to do what she thought best. Meanwhile, the only thing on her mind being Alex.

Over at Alex's house, his mother was running around like a headless chicken trying to find her dress, with the help of Jo. All the while, Alex was in his room, trying desperately to find an outfit that he looked good in. He subconsciously knew that it wouldn't matter what he wore because he would look homeless next to Jessica, even if she wore a paper bag. Once he found an outfit, he moved onto trying to style his hair, which he knew would be easy as Jessica always said it looked best. Alex shook with nerves as he finished getting ready and made his way downstairs to help his parents and sister put the party food in the several cars.

At the party, Alex helped Sam set up the decorations with the help of Sam's parents. Jessica and Paige were arriving later on by taxi as neither of the girls were ready to go by the time Paige's parents left the house with Grace and Sam. The whole time the boys were helping set up, Alex's heart thudded with anticipation, of seeing his girl glammed up and more gorgeous than ever before. Whilst this was all happening, Jessica's heart too thudded with anticipation of seeing Alex at the party. She knew she looked beautiful, but she was nervous about Emily's reaction. The way she saw it, Jessica wasn't conventionally beautiful like Emily was, maybe that's what Alex saw in her. But it made her sick to her stomach, knowing that Emily would be there, and would inevitably judge the way she looked. "Jess, I can hear your inner monologue right now. Calm down, you look gorgeous, Emily should run in fear of your beauty when she sees you. Rock your beauty Jess." Paige reassures her friend. "I know Paige, but Emily is much more conventionally beautiful than me. What if she's wearing something that makes her drop dead gorgeous, what if Alex doesn't even look at me? What if his family doesn't like me?" Jessica replied. "They will, Jane loves you, so does Paul, neither of them have liked any of Alex's previous girlfriends, and Emily is exactly the kind of girl that Jane and Paul don't like. You are. If Alex doesn't look at you, he's stupid not to. Let's just go in there and strut your shit." Paige told her. "Screw it. Let's have fun." Jessica decided as the two of them got out of the taxi.

Paige walked in first, strutting in her shoes, feeling herself. She said hello to her siblings, parents and Alex before placing her stuff down. Then Jessica walked in. Alex's attention was immediately drawn from his task and for more than a moment, he forgot that Emily even existed. "Bro, what are you doing?" Sam asked, it wasn't until he saw the look on Alex's face that he understood what was going on. Sam and Paige have known Alex and Jo since they were born and they know how to tell when one of them is in love. They could tell with Jo and Mason and it's so much easier to tell with Alex and Jessica. "Oi! Alex, come on dude." Sam said, not wanting to expose the guy. Alex shook himself out of the trance he was in and went back to work, still stealing glances at Jessica every now and then.

Meanwhile, Jessica and Paige sat in the corner helping Rosie, Paige's mum, put food in bowls for each table. "Did you see the way he looked at me?" Jessica said to Paige once Rosie had gone off to help Dan, Paige's dad. "Yes girl, I could see it plain in his eyes, that boy is in love." Paige responded, her eyes gleaming with joy. "I hope you're right, because I am too."